Re: Junebug Build

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@...> wrote:

      > Awesome little boat for the time and money.

      Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?

      > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.

      Any pics of the feat?

      Graeme
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 17, 2008
        Way late response, sorry.

        I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
        Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty of
        sail for 15' x 3' boat.

        One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great row
        boat.

        Jason

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@> wrote:
        >
        > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
        >
        > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
        >
        > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.
        >
        > Any pics of the feat?
        >
        > Graeme

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
          Jason,

          thanks for the response. And, no worries at all, my experience is,
          and I hope will remain, that boat time has no tense. And the Bolger
          zone has no time. Chronology, yes; but time, no. Timeless it is then,
          I guess, with details always immediate and fresh anew.

          I've only heard of one other June Bug planing under sail. That was
          Phil Lea's - more modified than yours, including bigger sail. That
          Bolger optimised the JB sharpie bottom for rowing speed, yet JB does
          so well sailing I think even amazed Bolger. It amazes me. How much
          wind do you require for planing? Pictures would be nice, if/whenever
          you could manage that.

          I'm really interested in JB's planing performance as I'm going to
          build a Cold Water Sailer (Just luv to see it rip through a $12000 a
          piece laser fleet). CWS's bottom was optimised for planing, I think.
          About the same displacement as JB on less rocker, and so ~23% more
          beam. About the same ease of building as JB I expect.

          Graeme

          wrote:

          > Way late response, sorry.
          >
          > I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
          > Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty
          of
          > sail for 15' x 3' boat.
          >
          > One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great
          row
          > boat.
          >
          > Jason
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@>
          wrote:

          > > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
          > >
          > > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
          > >
          > > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on
          plane.

          > > Any pics of the feat?
          > >
          > > Graeme

        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
            graeme-

            I think the reason my JB will hop up on plane is that the stretch was
            only done at the widest part of the hull not thru the whole length of
            the boat. My stern doesn't drag at all like in the picture in 30 odd
            boats. Because i used a fatter stem piece she is also 3' 6" wide as
            opposed to 3'3". I think all those flat surfaces add up to planning
            potential. 15 knts will do a plenty. Still rows great. The reason i
            enlarged her was for minimal camp cruising....thank gawd for the
            dovekie now.

            The other reason is the sail: professionally sewn by dabbler. I
            ve made tyvek and poly tarp sails but nothing can touch the
            performance of a professionally built dacron sail.

            Jason