[bolger] Sweet Pea

  • graphics@parktool.com
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 27, 1999
      I'm relatively new to the list. Thought I'd mention that I built a
      Bolger/Payson "Sweet Pea" a few years ago. For those of you unfamiliar
      with this design, it's a peapod or maybe a surf dory, 15 ft. long, 5
      ft. wide, double chines/5 bottom panels. Designed for "Dynamite"
      himself, so he could row standing up and ocaisionally sail it. It has
      built in flotation and a removable full length keel. Plans and
      directions appeared in Wooden Boat No.'s 104 & 105.

      I built it in the backyard under a tarp. I used luan, Raka epoxy and
      glass, leftover 1x4 stock, drywall screws, galvanized nails, Bondo,
      "Ace Hardware" brand primer and marine paint. Despite the crummy
      materials, poor building and storage conditions, and rough treatment
      it's held up really well.

      To save time, I borrowed the "seat on rails" design details from
      Bolger's "Crystal", instead of making the more complex seats called for
      in the plans. They are very simple, and have worked well.

      To save money, I made thole pins instead of using oarlocks, and made
      oars from some wood leftover from a fencing project. I've learned a lot
      about thole pins. They took a little getting used to, but also work
      well.

      I made the keel deeper than called for, according to Peter Specter's
      comment in the article. This produced quite a bit of lee helm with my
      polytarp version of the sprit rig (as designed), although that may have
      been caused by an oversized rudder. I made proper sailcloth sails this
      summer, for a ketch rig, with a high peaked sprit main and a tiny
      bermudan mizzen, and the helm is well balanced now. The design adapts
      easily to the ketch rig. Sea trials with the new rig were 4 days solo
      sailing in the Apostle Islands - fantastic sailing grounds!

      In addition to the keel I've tried various configurations of skegs and
      rudders for rowing and shoal waters. Trying different variations is
      simple, and has been fun. Maybe some day I'll even try a daggerboard or
      centerboard trunk.

      I keep it on a flat bed trailer and row and sail (and sometimes drag)
      it primarily on the St. Croix River. Crew usually consists of my wife
      and our two dogs, a border collie mix and a black lab mix, so it's a
      full boat. We're almost always the only row boat on the river, and
      always the only sailboat on the upper reaches. It's a great design, and
      a great boat.

      - Charles Buchwald
    • graeme19121984
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 5, 2010