Re:Junebug Build

  • scooterklein
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      Hogwash... As an ex certified welder at Electric Boat shipyard in
      Groton CT I can assure you that Aluminum welding is not that big of a
      deal. All it takes is some amount of talent which usually comes in
      direct relationship to the amount of tme you practice. I went through
      a lot of scrap metal before commiting to a finished goods. And as
      long as you protect it from galvanic action will last for a very long
      time.

      Bob

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gronicle" <machinist@...> wrote:

      > Hougha to everything Krissie said, plus it is a bitch cleaning
      aluminum when
      > you are trying to get a decent TIG weld going. I used to wonder
      why the
      > welders in the shipyard at Electric boat cussed so much years ago
      and then I
      > went to tech school and took a few welding classes! It makes straight
      > machining or diesel engine repair seem plumb easy.
      >
      > Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm (PDT)

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@...> wrote:

        > Awesome little boat for the time and money.

        Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?

        > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.

        Any pics of the feat?

        Graeme
      • Jason Stancil
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 17, 2008
          Way late response, sorry.

          I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
          Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty of
          sail for 15' x 3' boat.

          One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great row
          boat.

          Jason

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@> wrote:
          >
          > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
          >
          > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
          >
          > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.
          >
          > Any pics of the feat?
          >
          > Graeme

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
            Jason,

            thanks for the response. And, no worries at all, my experience is,
            and I hope will remain, that boat time has no tense. And the Bolger
            zone has no time. Chronology, yes; but time, no. Timeless it is then,
            I guess, with details always immediate and fresh anew.

            I've only heard of one other June Bug planing under sail. That was
            Phil Lea's - more modified than yours, including bigger sail. That
            Bolger optimised the JB sharpie bottom for rowing speed, yet JB does
            so well sailing I think even amazed Bolger. It amazes me. How much
            wind do you require for planing? Pictures would be nice, if/whenever
            you could manage that.

            I'm really interested in JB's planing performance as I'm going to
            build a Cold Water Sailer (Just luv to see it rip through a $12000 a
            piece laser fleet). CWS's bottom was optimised for planing, I think.
            About the same displacement as JB on less rocker, and so ~23% more
            beam. About the same ease of building as JB I expect.

            Graeme

            wrote:

            > Way late response, sorry.
            >
            > I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
            > Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty
            of
            > sail for 15' x 3' boat.
            >
            > One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great
            row
            > boat.
            >
            > Jason
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@>
            wrote:

            > > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
            > >
            > > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
            > >
            > > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on
            plane.

            > > Any pics of the feat?
            > >
            > > Graeme

          • Jason Stancil
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
              graeme-

              I think the reason my JB will hop up on plane is that the stretch was
              only done at the widest part of the hull not thru the whole length of
              the boat. My stern doesn't drag at all like in the picture in 30 odd
              boats. Because i used a fatter stem piece she is also 3' 6" wide as
              opposed to 3'3". I think all those flat surfaces add up to planning
              potential. 15 knts will do a plenty. Still rows great. The reason i
              enlarged her was for minimal camp cruising....thank gawd for the
              dovekie now.

              The other reason is the sail: professionally sewn by dabbler. I
              ve made tyvek and poly tarp sails but nothing can touch the
              performance of a professionally built dacron sail.

              Jason