Re: Junebug Build

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mikeboatman3745" <mikeboatman@...>

      Nice one, Mike

      Graeme
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
        I built one last summer stitch and glue style took about 2 weeks But
        most of that time was waiting on epoxy and then fairing. Could be
        built in weekend if you didn't mind the looks/longevity. I stretch
        mine to 15 feet.....had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out
        when on plane. Awesome little boat for the time and money.

        Jason
      • scooterklein
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
          Hogwash... As an ex certified welder at Electric Boat shipyard in
          Groton CT I can assure you that Aluminum welding is not that big of a
          deal. All it takes is some amount of talent which usually comes in
          direct relationship to the amount of tme you practice. I went through
          a lot of scrap metal before commiting to a finished goods. And as
          long as you protect it from galvanic action will last for a very long
          time.

          Bob

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gronicle" <machinist@...> wrote:

          > Hougha to everything Krissie said, plus it is a bitch cleaning
          aluminum when
          > you are trying to get a decent TIG weld going. I used to wonder
          why the
          > welders in the shipyard at Electric boat cussed so much years ago
          and then I
          > went to tech school and took a few welding classes! It makes straight
          > machining or diesel engine repair seem plumb easy.
          >
          > Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm (PDT)

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@...> wrote:

            > Awesome little boat for the time and money.

            Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?

            > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.

            Any pics of the feat?

            Graeme
          • Jason Stancil
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 17, 2008
              Way late response, sorry.

              I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
              Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty of
              sail for 15' x 3' boat.

              One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great row
              boat.

              Jason

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@> wrote:
              >
              > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
              >
              > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
              >
              > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.
              >
              > Any pics of the feat?
              >
              > Graeme

            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
                Jason,

                thanks for the response. And, no worries at all, my experience is,
                and I hope will remain, that boat time has no tense. And the Bolger
                zone has no time. Chronology, yes; but time, no. Timeless it is then,
                I guess, with details always immediate and fresh anew.

                I've only heard of one other June Bug planing under sail. That was
                Phil Lea's - more modified than yours, including bigger sail. That
                Bolger optimised the JB sharpie bottom for rowing speed, yet JB does
                so well sailing I think even amazed Bolger. It amazes me. How much
                wind do you require for planing? Pictures would be nice, if/whenever
                you could manage that.

                I'm really interested in JB's planing performance as I'm going to
                build a Cold Water Sailer (Just luv to see it rip through a $12000 a
                piece laser fleet). CWS's bottom was optimised for planing, I think.
                About the same displacement as JB on less rocker, and so ~23% more
                beam. About the same ease of building as JB I expect.

                Graeme

                wrote:

                > Way late response, sorry.
                >
                > I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
                > Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty
                of
                > sail for 15' x 3' boat.
                >
                > One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great
                row
                > boat.
                >
                > Jason
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@>
                wrote:

                > > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
                > >
                > > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
                > >
                > > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on
                plane.

                > > Any pics of the feat?
                > >
                > > Graeme

              • Jason Stancil
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
                  graeme-

                  I think the reason my JB will hop up on plane is that the stretch was
                  only done at the widest part of the hull not thru the whole length of
                  the boat. My stern doesn't drag at all like in the picture in 30 odd
                  boats. Because i used a fatter stem piece she is also 3' 6" wide as
                  opposed to 3'3". I think all those flat surfaces add up to planning
                  potential. 15 knts will do a plenty. Still rows great. The reason i
                  enlarged her was for minimal camp cruising....thank gawd for the
                  dovekie now.

                  The other reason is the sail: professionally sewn by dabbler. I
                  ve made tyvek and poly tarp sails but nothing can touch the
                  performance of a professionally built dacron sail.

                  Jason