Re: June Bug Build

  • Jack&Lois
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      I strongly suspect that minor adjustments could make JB a fine tender for
      towing, though I do have some reservations re. the skeg idea. Any
      modification that might affect her performance under sail or rowing should
      be approached with caution. An eye bolt centred on the stem and perhaps a
      shorter tow line might have corrected the digging in/ broaching problem.
      Even a touch of ballast aft might have made the difference. But I was
      already determined to build the Auray punt so put little effort into making
      JB a better boat on a leash. Other than the towing problem and my nautical
      vanity concerning appearances (which was rather ironic considering I was
      sailing a Micro) JB was in fact a great tender, being easy and quick to row
      and able to carry a shockingly huge load. No one who builds one is ever
      disappointed.

      jeb, which, apropos to nothing, are initials for Jack Edward Bearden, and
      occasionally shortened to, if you can believe it, JB, on the auspicious
      shores of Fundy