Re: [bolger] Re: Hoyt Rig

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 130 , Mar 26, 2008
      When I built my Windsprint I anticipated a noticeable advantage on one
      side with the balanced lug. What surprised me was that the advantage is
      to the side where the mast distorts the sail. Sail shape on the other
      tack includes too much belly away from the mast, I think. This with a
      parrel on the yard and a boom downhaul typically pulled tight as I can
      pull it.

      Patrick

      loosemoosefilmworks wrote:
      > That said the main drawback of the balanced lug over the dipping lug is that on one tack
      > the shape of the sail is compromised by the fact that it is distorted by the mast. Over the
      > years many "fixes" have been tried and all of them a bit of a kludge.

      > ... I am something of a lug
      > freak but am the first to admit there was a pronounced advantage on one tack over the
      > other that had me wishing for a dipping lug from time to time.
      >
      > Bob
    • bobnsandy9295
      Message 130 of 130 , Jan 23 4:38 PM

        You might want to consider the OzRacer RV. It is a updated version of the Puddle Duck Racer. It is an easily built , and supposedly, rather stable little sailboat. I believe plans are available thru Diuckworks (via Storer.)

        BobfromSWOhio