Junebug Build

  • Christopher Wetherill
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 26, 2008
      Any current members built a Junebug? I am curious about time to build
      the hull and any difficulties encountered. I will be following the
      procedure in New Instant Boats

      Thanks
      Chris
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 26, 2008
        It appears to be a very simple build, Mark Zeiger's site.

        http://www.akzeigers.com/JB.html

        HJ

        Christopher Wetherill wrote:
        > Any current members built a Junebug? I am curious about time to build
        > the hull and any difficulties encountered. I will be following the
        > procedure in New Instant Boats
        >
        > Thanks
        > Chris

      • proaconstrictor
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 26, 2008
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Wetherill" <wetherillc@...>
          wrote:

          > Any current members built a Junebug? I am curious about time to build
          > the hull and any difficulties encountered. I will be following the
          > procedure in New Instant Boats
          >
          > Thanks
          > Chris

          The boat assembly rarely takes longer than a day, and I'm a late
          riser. What takes the time is running around to get stuff. Assembling
          plywood into full length pieces, ripping out wood for the stringers and
          so forth. It depends on what you have. I had a General Table saw at
          one point, and I still have a special vac clamping scarphing jig for
          ply sheets. With the TS you could rip stringers and scarphs quickly,
          but I now use a bandsaw and other tools, so it takes a little longer.
          Though I prefer the work. It's the variables in you process that make
          a difference. I've used everything from routers to hand saws to make
          the stringers.
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 26, 2008
            Here are isometric renderings of a Junebug.

            http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2364983820/

            I suspect that in a boatbuilding contest, one could be built in an 8
            hour day. Perhaps an average time to build might be in one months of
            evenings and weekends. If thoroughly gold plated a Junebug might take
            a year (or more) to build.
          • Jack&Lois
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 28, 2008
              I've said so much about June Bug on this list over the years I'll restrain
              myself this time. She no doubt could be built with blitz speed within a few
              gruelling hours, but I go with aspiring to the standard shown on the Zeiger
              site. It's such a simple boat to build, why not take the time and care this
              brilliant little gem deserves? Despite Bolger saying some WB snobs referred
              to it as a packing crate, mine has received much praise and admiration for
              her LOOKS, for crying out loud, never mind her poetic performance. My only
              caution concerns using JB as a towed tender. I found her less than ideal
              for towing behind our Micro. And I don't just mean how silly it looks for a
              14' boat to be towed behind a 15' 4" boat, which it does (look silly). What
              we found at near hull speed for the Micro (4.5 kts) JB wants to dig in and
              broach. This was especially a problem in any kind of chop. Auray punt has
              proved a much better tender re. performance and appearance. But JB is still
              one of my favourite boats ever.

              Jeb, obviously not really showing that much restraint, on the winter bound
              shores of Fundy

            • Gronicle
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 29, 2008
                Hougha to everything Krissie said, plus it is a bitch cleaning aluminum when
                you are trying to get a decent TIG weld going. I used to wonder why the
                welders in the shipyard at Electric boat cussed so much years ago and then I
                went to tech school and took a few welding classes! It makes straight
                machining or diesel engine repair seem plumb easy.

                Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm (PDT)
                Hear! Hear!

                Great response. I was pondering something like it, but you said it much
                better than I could have. That is the advantage of first-hand experience.

                V/R
                Chris

                Kristine Bennett wrote:
                > I have half looked at the posts about the Housebarge, then I saw the idea
                of using welded Steel and then welded Aluminum. In years past I worked for
                two shops that built Aluminum and Steel craft, here in the northwest. Some
                of the ideas that are being kicked around scare me.

                ..

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 29, 2008
                  Do you think that attaching the towing eye lower down on the stem and
                  the addition of a skeg would help the towing?

                  HJ

                  Jack&Lois wrote:
                  > I've said so much about June Bug on this list over the years I'll restrain
                  > myself this time. She no doubt could be built with blitz speed within a few
                  > gruelling hours, but I go with aspiring to the standard shown on the Zeiger
                  > site. It's such a simple boat to build, why not take the time and care this
                  > brilliant little gem deserves? Despite Bolger saying some WB snobs referred
                  > to it as a packing crate, mine has received much praise and admiration for
                  > her LOOKS, for crying out loud, never mind her poetic performance. My only
                  > caution concerns using JB as a towed tender. I found her less than ideal
                  > for towing behind our Micro. And I don't just mean how silly it looks for a
                  > 14' boat to be towed behind a 15' 4" boat, which it does (look silly). What
                  > we found at near hull speed for the Micro (4.5 kts) JB wants to dig in and
                  > broach. This was especially a problem in any kind of chop. Auray punt has
                  > proved a much better tender re. performance and appearance. But JB is still
                  > one of my favourite boats ever.
                  >

                  > Jeb, obviously not really showing that much restraint, on the winter bound
                  > shores of Fundy

                • Douglas Pollard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
                    The guys at elecric boat works must not of heard of aluminator.
                    Cleans aluminum for mig or tig welding in one sloshing on and rinses off
                    in just a few minutes. If You are working hard to clean for welds you
                    have missed something. Th product is either ( aluminator or luminator)
                    don't remember which.
                    Seems an nearly impossible thing to compare an engine builder or a
                    machinist and a welder where know how and training are concerned. It's
                    like trying to compare the skill of a carpenter and a seamstress. There
                    are all levels of both. and the skill just can't be compaired. It's
                    like trying to compare the strength of wood and steel. There is no
                    lagitamate comparison possible. Tom Covin and I tried that for a
                    magazine artical he was writing one time, the comparison made no sense
                    at all. On bends under impact and stays bent thus slowing the impact and
                    the other just splinters.
                    There is also no comparison between building a submarine an a
                    houseboat. I still say wood is the easyiest aluminum second followed
                    by steel. This is unless you are a steel worker in which case working
                    with the tools of a steel fabricator does not require the learning of a
                    whole new thing. Aluminum is easy just get a welder that knows his craft.

                    Doug

                    Gronicle wrote:

                    > Hougha to everything Krissie said, plus it is a bitch cleaning
                    > aluminum when
                    > you are trying to get a decent TIG weld going. I used to wonder why the
                    > welders in the shipyard at Electric boat cussed so much years ago and
                    > then I
                    > went to tech school and took a few welding classes! It makes straight
                    > machining or diesel engine repair seem plumb easy.
                    >
                    > Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm (PDT)
                    > Hear! Hear!
                    >
                    > Great response. I was pondering something like it, but you said it much
                    > better than I could have. That is the advantage of first-hand experience.
                    >
                    > V/R
                    > Chris
                    >
                    > Kristine Bennett wrote:
                    > > I have half looked at the posts about the Housebarge, then I saw the
                    > idea
                    > of using welded Steel and then welded Aluminum. In years past I worked for
                    > two shops that built Aluminum and Steel craft, here in the northwest. Some
                    > of the ideas that are being kicked around scare me.
                    > >

                    > ..

                  • mikeboatman3745
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 30, 2008
                      I built a Junebug recently. Junebug is a quick build, but it does take
                      time. Have some help when you attach the frames to the sides, it is
                      floppy for a bit. Mind to cut the bevel on the frames the correct way
                      so the frames face the right way.

                      I lowered the rear deck 3" to take a 2hp outboard. It moves along quite
                      quickly.

                      A Photo is at Bolger 7
                      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger7/photos/browse/cb90

                      For Australian shoppers, I am selling myset of four bolger books on ebay
                      at the moment. They are too heavy to post overseas sorry.

                    • graeme19121984
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mikeboatman3745" <mikeboatman@...>

                        Nice one, Mike

                        Graeme
                      • Jason Stancil
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
                          I built one last summer stitch and glue style took about 2 weeks But
                          most of that time was waiting on epoxy and then fairing. Could be
                          built in weekend if you didn't mind the looks/longevity. I stretch
                          mine to 15 feet.....had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out
                          when on plane. Awesome little boat for the time and money.

                          Jason
                        • scooterklein
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                            Hogwash... As an ex certified welder at Electric Boat shipyard in
                            Groton CT I can assure you that Aluminum welding is not that big of a
                            deal. All it takes is some amount of talent which usually comes in
                            direct relationship to the amount of tme you practice. I went through
                            a lot of scrap metal before commiting to a finished goods. And as
                            long as you protect it from galvanic action will last for a very long
                            time.

                            Bob

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gronicle" <machinist@...> wrote:

                            > Hougha to everything Krissie said, plus it is a bitch cleaning
                            aluminum when
                            > you are trying to get a decent TIG weld going. I used to wonder
                            why the
                            > welders in the shipyard at Electric boat cussed so much years ago
                            and then I
                            > went to tech school and took a few welding classes! It makes straight
                            > machining or diesel engine repair seem plumb easy.
                            >
                            > Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 pm (PDT)

                          • graeme19121984
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@...> wrote:

                              > Awesome little boat for the time and money.

                              Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?

                              > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.

                              Any pics of the feat?

                              Graeme
                            • Jason Stancil
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 17, 2008
                                Way late response, sorry.

                                I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
                                Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty of
                                sail for 15' x 3' boat.

                                One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great row
                                boat.

                                Jason

                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
                                >
                                > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
                                >
                                > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on plane.
                                >
                                > Any pics of the feat?
                                >
                                > Graeme

                              • graeme19121984
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
                                  Jason,

                                  thanks for the response. And, no worries at all, my experience is,
                                  and I hope will remain, that boat time has no tense. And the Bolger
                                  zone has no time. Chronology, yes; but time, no. Timeless it is then,
                                  I guess, with details always immediate and fresh anew.

                                  I've only heard of one other June Bug planing under sail. That was
                                  Phil Lea's - more modified than yours, including bigger sail. That
                                  Bolger optimised the JB sharpie bottom for rowing speed, yet JB does
                                  so well sailing I think even amazed Bolger. It amazes me. How much
                                  wind do you require for planing? Pictures would be nice, if/whenever
                                  you could manage that.

                                  I'm really interested in JB's planing performance as I'm going to
                                  build a Cold Water Sailer (Just luv to see it rip through a $12000 a
                                  piece laser fleet). CWS's bottom was optimised for planing, I think.
                                  About the same displacement as JB on less rocker, and so ~23% more
                                  beam. About the same ease of building as JB I expect.

                                  Graeme

                                  wrote:

                                  > Way late response, sorry.
                                  >
                                  > I could take pictures it's out in the barn.
                                  > Used a 59 foot bolger sprit to plans off another boat. Still plenty
                                  of
                                  > sail for 15' x 3' boat.
                                  >
                                  > One of the great things about JB....even stretched is it's a great
                                  row
                                  > boat.
                                  >
                                  > Jason
                                  >
                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > > Awesome little boat for the time and money.
                                  > >
                                  > > Stretched. Did you also use a larger sail?
                                  > >
                                  > > > had to add foot locks later on so i could hike out when on
                                  plane.

                                  > > Any pics of the feat?
                                  > >
                                  > > Graeme

                                • Jason Stancil
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
                                    graeme-

                                    I think the reason my JB will hop up on plane is that the stretch was
                                    only done at the widest part of the hull not thru the whole length of
                                    the boat. My stern doesn't drag at all like in the picture in 30 odd
                                    boats. Because i used a fatter stem piece she is also 3' 6" wide as
                                    opposed to 3'3". I think all those flat surfaces add up to planning
                                    potential. 15 knts will do a plenty. Still rows great. The reason i
                                    enlarged her was for minimal camp cruising....thank gawd for the
                                    dovekie now.

                                    The other reason is the sail: professionally sewn by dabbler. I
                                    ve made tyvek and poly tarp sails but nothing can touch the
                                    performance of a professionally built dacron sail.

                                    Jason