Re: Pirogue 16 Plans

  • mbevington
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2008
      About as stable as a big aluminum canoe, which is a lot more stable
      than the other Bolger pirogues, I take it. I never capsized it, but I
      assumed it would go over if heeled enough to bring the water to the
      side decks with the crew sitting low on the bottom. I never tried the
      59 sq ft sail, but I know that's what LaRowe ended up with on his
      pirogue -- I bought the original 39 ft sail from him and still have
      it, though the boat is gone. I think it would be a better sail in most
      ways. Besides being larger it should set better than a loose footed
      spritsail. The spars won't fit inside the cockpit like the original would.

      The leeboard is a kludge, ugly but not too inconvenient. I always
      wondered what would break if I hit a stump or rock; I hoped it would
      be the board. If I build the boat again I'll put in a daggerboard case
      as near the chine as possible and a kick-up rudder so the rudder can
      be rigged before launching. And mainly I'd make every effort to build
      the hull lighter. The only really bad feature of the boat is its
      weight out of the water.

      As an aside, I think that the boats that Bolger designed for Elrow
      LaRowe are a high point in the kind of masterful, elegant, and maybe
      aggressive, simplicity that he doesn't do anymore -- I guess because
      he's already done it. Look at the designs: Micro, Brick, Oldshoe, and
      I believe Birdwatcher. The pirogue isn't such a classic, but it is a
      likeable boat.