Anhinga...

  • proaconstrictor
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
      Never happened to me before but two of my posts seem to have been
      sucked into the void, they appear with BH's original text in them
      then drop off.

      anywho, here is the most recent one:

      I posted a longer reply, I hope it didn't end up in some unrelated
      group!

      The max side height is 3,5,4

      The half beam is 2,5,2.

      These are measured at Station "D", which is 0,9,1 aft of the 11' mark
      on the expanded panel, or roughly the 7.25" point on the drawings at
      3/4"'1' scale.

      When I made Eeek! I remember there being some oddity like the max
      height and beam didn't coincide.

      The bow is 2,6,0

      The sail is 140 square feet, and the center is pretty much over the
      center of the board. The spar is a asymetric hollow mast section.
      There is a lightly hand drawn lug design on my set, that has 144 area
      at the forward edge of the board, seems to share the same spar. OK,
      turns out that lightly drawn outline was by Bolger himself.

      The SB rig had slightly less than 140 split between two sails.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
        On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:23 AM, proaconstrictor
        <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

        > The max side height is 3,5,4

        This is less that the 'scaled side height' by a couple inches. Having
        computer modeled a lot of Bolger designs, I find it very common that
        the 'scaled' dimensions, from side view, versus plan view, versus
        section view (and from the panel expansions) often vary from each
        other somewhat. That is what happens when you draw boats using pencil
        and pen.
      • proaconstrictor
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
          That is what happens when you draw boats using pencil
          > and pen.

          It shouldn't be. Actually lines are prety accurate, no splines to
          contend with of the numerical kind. (Though you can lay out most of
          this boat with a framing square. :)) In many instances one can fit the
          exact same curve by hand that was used to draw the boat by the
          architect.

          I don't think I entirely stated things correctly. The numbers I gave
          are for the bulkhead, but I also stated they where the boat's side
          height, or some such. Of course the bulkhead is undersized by the
          thickness of materials applied, the keel timber, and any camber given
          to the deck, where the profile view is concerned.

          Also when you measure the max max on this boat they don't line up. The
          max beam is ahead of this point and the max height is this point and
          aft.