Re: [bolger] Anhinga Isometrics

    Message 1 of 130 , Mar 3, 2008
      Anhinga actually is an intriguing boat. An extremely common (and
      often unspoken) problem with backyard boats is that they lack "bang
      for the buck" A thousand hours, and several thousand of dollars
      later, you end up with a boat worth $1,000 or less. Anhinga tries to
      solve that problem. I bet that I could build a rough version in four
      weekends.

      I seriously doubt the reports of flooding problems on capsize. I bet
      you could knock her down easy enough, but she would pop back up and
      the amount of water taken in would be minimal. She has lots of
      buoyancy built in. Notice that the oar ports are at a lower height
      than the cabin hatch lip, and any excess water in the cockpit would
      pour out the oar ports before flooding the cabin.

      Modeling the sails was a bit of a guess, and I have only seen photos
      of the completed boat and have not seen the sail plan. I do notice
      that the tiller arm swings clear of off-center the mizzen mast by
      just a fraction of an inch. This is a clever (typical PCB) solution
      to the perennial problem of the tiller arm and mizzen mast conflict in
      yawls (versus ketches).
    • bobnsandy9295
      Message 130 of 130 , Jan 23, 2014

        You might want to consider the OzRacer RV. It is a updated version of the Puddle Duck Racer. It is an easily built , and supposedly, rather stable little sailboat. I believe plans are available thru Diuckworks (via Storer.)

        BobfromSWOhio