Re: measurements

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
      Reminds me of years ago frameing houses had a kid just back from Nam
      who had been with a engenearing group. Gave him a list to cut headers
      crippels and trimmers in ft. and inches. Everything was short so had
      him show me 2'-4" on his tape and he pointed to 24.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote:

      > You should try NCB metric - imperial measurements
      > converted to metric and then either left as is with
      > completely unrealistic tolerances or else rounded up
      > or down to the nearest millimetre without any
      > consideration as to whether this was a stock size or
      > not.
      > Then there's shipyard tolerances
      >
      > Carpenters work to the nearest 1/4 inch
      > Platers work to the nearest 1/8 inch
      > Engineers work to the nearest thou
      > and
      > Shipwrights work to the nearest ship
      >
      > cheers
      > Andy Airey
      > PS NCB stands for National Coal Board,which was the
      > nationalised mining industry in the UK,but also
      > allegedly meant No C**t Bothers

      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

    • dave seeton
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
        Bet he beat you in the spelling bee tho.

        "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote: Reminds me of years ago frameing houses had a kid just back from Nam
        who had been with a engenearing group. Gave him a list to cut headers
        crippels and trimmers in ft. and inches. Everything was short so had
        him show me 2'-4" on his tape and he pointed to 24.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote:

        > You should try NCB metric - imperial measurements
        > converted to metric and then either left as is with
        > completely unrealistic tolerances or else rounded up
        > or down to the nearest millimetre without any
        > consideration as to whether this was a stock size or
        > not.
        > Then there's shipyard tolerances
        >
        > Carpenters work to the nearest 1/4 inch
        > Platers work to the nearest 1/8 inch
        > Engineers work to the nearest thou
        > and
        > Shipwrights work to the nearest ship
        >
        > cheers
        > Andy Airey
        > PS NCB stands for National Coal Board,which was the
        > nationalised mining industry in the UK,but also
        > allegedly meant No C**t Bothers

        http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

      • dickpensil
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
          Thanks for the info. Now that I know that is the deal I think I can build one of these. Amazingly simple. Is there a catalogue of plans you can order?
        • Patrick Crockett
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
            The lack of a complete catalog is a continuing source of discussion.
            Dynamite Payson sells some Bolger plans for Instant Boats on his web
            site. Otherwise you need to pick out a design by name and/or design
            number and e-mail or write or fax a request for price to Susan
            Altenberger (a the address/fax below). And give her some time to get the
            business back on track, given the recent death of Phil.

            Patrick