Re: Minnesota

  • donschultz8275
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "uncleralph123" <UncleRalph@...> wrote:
      > Don,
      >
      > Interestingly, this is what Bolger thought when he wrote the article,
      > but not now. When I purchased the plans I wrote him a letter asking
      > about this very statement. His answer was that he would build it as
      > originally designed with the centerboard and not the thick shoe. In
      > fact if you look closely at the plans you can see where the shoe was
      > added and then erased.
      >
      > Ralph

      Ralph, thanks for that input. Neat that you can tell the shoe was
      there and is now gone.

      Did you discuss with PBF how much horsepower you intended to install?
      Of course Bolger would still be thinking in terms of 140 hp, since
      that is the original design spec. The shoe and less than 90 hp could
      well work OK. A 22' Retriever does well with 90 hp.

      No one has built one to plans, so who can really know what is best?
      I'm still not up for the board.

      I think the attraction of Minne' is the styling of the cabin, and the
      very efficient layout, including the rear mounted dedicated toilet
      space. There is a lot of boat in 33'.

      The very flat bottom is not a feature to me. Although I am near the
      Illinois River, which provides access to the Mississippi and the
      Misouri, I also have access to the Great Lakes from the same launching
      point. The Topaz hull shape is also present in the 40' Sitka Explorer
      which Bolger considers to be up for the intracoastal Alaskan passage.
      Wonder when that commission will be completed?. That puts me back to
      thinking that the later Topaz hull may be a better choice.

      Ooooo! What about the ~30' Samuel Clyde hull, which is a really big
      Diablo?
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 7, 2008
        > The status of Sitka Explorer came up, I think, more than a year ago.
        > I believe the design has been commisioned but the work has not been
        > completed. A search using Sitka as the search term will bring up an
        > hour of reading.

        That is for sure! For instance, on August 18, 2004 Leo Hill wrote
        that he had recently spoken with SA and was told that Sitka Explorer
        was hoped to be completed by Christmas 2004.