Re: Power/Sail Sail/Power Cruising discussion. Simple Jib-Stay Sail-Lateen rigs

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2 5:24 AM
      Hi Graeme,

      ...snip...
      > All that staying tension places great compression loads on the mast
      > which the hull must resist - or the mast will be driven through the
      > bottom, or the hull will "banana". This extra hull strength in turn
      > may require the hull to be considerably heavier (and more costly in
      > build and fuel) than otherwise.
      ...snip...

      An excellent example of this is the America's Cup yacht that literally
      snapped in two and sank in seconds several years ago. I can't imagine
      wanting to pay for and maintain all of that rigging on a cruising boat,
      especially since one failure anywhere in the rig of even a single
      component could cause the whole thing to come down. I would love to
      try out a dipping lug someday.

      Jon Kolb
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2 5:28 AM
        > An excellent example of this is the America's Cup yacht that
        literally
        > snapped in two and sank in seconds several years ago. I can't
        imagine
        > wanting to pay for and maintain all of that rigging on a cruising
        boat,
        > especially since one failure anywhere in the rig of even a single
        > component could cause the whole thing to come down. I would love to
        > try out a dipping lug someday.

        And here's the story:
        http://www.americascup.com/en/acclopaedia/boatdestiny/index.php?
        idIndex=0&idContent=2540

        Looks like I was off a bit - it took all of a minute and 40 seconds to
        sink.

        Jon Kolb
      • donschultz8275
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2 6:12 AM
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
          wrote:
          > Why not use one or two crab claw rigs?

          The prime argument against about any other rig is that it adds
          additional spars to buy and handle, and learn how to use.