Re: re:Ultralite Tortoise

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
      > & green, green, green

      Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!

      Graeme
    • eep_05
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
        hate to dispel your illusion but soy is evil and most organic is
        soaked in diesel by the time you get it, better to get local produce
        when it is in season at least.

        http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

        and you cant make a boat out of it either.

        > > & green, green, green
        >
        > Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!
        >
        > Graeme

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 6, 2008
          Hah! I live on soybeans, breakfast lunch and dinner. On an input
          ratio of only 1:7 compared to dead flesh, while not terribly smug
          about it, I'm happy with the no GMO stuff. I'll plow through
          soyonline, but sheesh, I gotta eat sompin'.

          Was only thinking about _coating_ a boat with it...

          Agree 100% about the diesel.

          If more, let's go over to
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger_coffee_lounge/
          Mark

          On Feb 2, 2008, at 9:00 PM, eep_05 wrote:

          > hate to dispel your illusion but soy is evil and most organic is
          > soaked in diesel by the time you get it, better to get local produce
          > when it is in season at least.
          >
          > http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/
          >
          > and you cant make a boat out of it either.
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
          > wrote:
          >>

          >>> & green, green, green
          >>
          >> Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!
          >>
          >> Graeme

          > dead horses
          > posts
          > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 9, 2008
            At 20#/ sheet it's only ultralight compared to fir or BC pine, but I
            picked up some of this luan underlay at one of the local HDs today.
            Nicely made, living sheets. Pretty flat. Three even plies. Minimal
            voids. Smooth both sides, one's got little x's as cutting guides all
            over. The young man in the lumber department couldn't say whether it
            was exterior glue, but googled to here.
            http://www.patriottimber.com/sureply.htm

            It was a surprise that different HDs carry different stock.

            $15 /sheet. China, of course.
            This is about the best cheap luan I've ever seen.
            Mark
          • dnjost
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 23, 2008
              Mark -
              Did you use the Sureply? While shopping for steel shelving at Lowes,
              in order to organize the workshop, I tripped across Type 1 glued Luan
              at $10 per sheet. Very tempting...but, two bays down found tons of
              1/4" Sureply at $20 per sheet. A quick scan of the Patriot Timber
              website shows that this stuff should be pretty good for Instant Boats.
              Will pick up a few sheets and bang together a June Bug to replace both
              the Dialbo and Pointy Skiff.

              Trout and bass season are rapidly approaching in the frosty Northeast
              US, (despite the 8" of snow last night) and I don't want to miss out on
              too much boating action. I can also picture a raid on Boston via a
              float down the Charles ("Love that Dirty Water")

              David Jost
            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 24, 2008
                Dear Group -
                please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.

                sorry,
                djost
              • GarthAB
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                  Hi David--

                  It looks like your ply just bent after boiling, but didn't delaminate.
                  Is that right, or did the glue give out? Wouldn't any wood bend after
                  an hour of boiling, like steam-bent oak frames?

                  Garth

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Group -
                  > please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                  > better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                  > made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.
                  >
                  > sorry,
                  > djost

                • Giuliano Girometta
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                    When I performed the boiling test on the Radiata Pine as I stated last week when I was asking about information on Radiata Pine on boats, and on some BC yellow pine, the Radiata ply was stiff the same as dry, while the BC was able to be slightly flexed if put into a wise and bent with a pair of large channel lock plyers, but not delaminating.
                    While on the pics from David Looks like the Play layers were delaminated.

                    Giuliano

                    GarthAB <garth@...> wrote:
                    Hi David--

                    It looks like your ply just bent after boiling, but didn't delaminate.
                    Is that right, or did the glue give out? Wouldn't any wood bend after
                    an hour of boiling, like steam-bent oak frames?

                    Garth

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Group -
                    > please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                    > better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                    > made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.
                    >
                    > sorry,
                    > djost

                  • dnjost
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 26, 2008
                      The ply did not bend as stated, the glue failed. When I attempted to
                      simply pull the plys apart, the failure was not immediate, but after
                      cooling for 10 minutes I applied a twist and simply opened it up like
                      an oreo cookie.

                      D. Jost
                    • dnjost
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 26, 2008
                        Garth -

                        Interestingly enough, not all wood bends after heating. I tried steam
                        bending white oak, red oak, ash, fir, and pine. Only the oaks and ash
                        took the process, with the others cracking under pressure. A simple
                        drain pipe out of PVC, rags, and a double boiler with PVC hosing
                        clamped on has been my method for small canoe parts. 1hour per inch of
                        cross section. pretty easy and fun!

                        The 1/2 " ACX I boiled for over an hour and could not flex it, twist
                        it, or cause failure of any kinds. I am sure that after repeated
                        boiling and cool cycles I could eventually get failure, but for a boat
                        that I plan on running 10-15 years and kept under cover this should be
                        fine.

                        Happy building,
                        David Jost
                      • Mark Albanese
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 27, 2008
                          Supposing, David, we may have actually purchased different products,
                          that yours was mislabled somehow, today I had a chance to boil my own
                          Sureply (R).

                          Tried a couple of 2 x 4" pieces.

                          After an hour and a bend with vicegrips, #1 came apart with fingers.

                          Cooled awhile, #2 wasn't much better.

                          Personally, this is my third cheap luan boat. I haven't found a batch
                          of the stuff yet that actually would survive this test. One is sealed
                          with deck stuff and paint; another just with epoxy. Both are useful
                          in their limited way. They are both stored indoors.

                          You hit the bullseye with the occume. The ACX is pretty grim stuff.

                          These otherwise well made sheets are nicely uniform. But If a
                          lightweight, smooth, voidless, truly waterproof, $15 sheet seems too
                          good to be true, perhaps it is. Maybe Sureply is really just good
                          pattern stuff. :)

                          Cheerz, Mark

                          On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:12 AM, dnjost wrote:

                          > The 1/2 " ACX I boiled for over an hour and could not flex it, twist
                          > it, or cause failure of any kinds. I am sure that after repeated
                          > boiling and cool cycles I could eventually get failure, but for a boat
                          > that I plan on running 10-15 years and kept under cover this should be
                          > fine.
                          >
                          > Happy building,
                          > David Jost
                          > "calling Maine Lumber tomorrow for a delivery of Okoume".

                        • dnjost
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 1, 2008
                            I did not take a photo of it, but the ACX I boiled last week has had a
                            week in the arid atmosphere of the artic freeze we are having in New
                            England. The indoor low humidity dried that sucker out in record time
                            leaving a very nicely checked piece of plywood. The glue is holding,
                            but I can now see how easily the water will penetrate this ply.

                            that explains why the skiff I built of ACX deteriorated the way it
                            did. The rot could just get into the cracks and go crazy.

                            thanks for your patience, I am being a tad oc as I want my next build
                            to be terrific.

                            David Jost
                          • rick barnes
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                              Spend the money and get good marine plywood. First boat, sure, go cheap. After you have a bit of experience, and want to show your workmanship, use the good stuff. I used to build furniture out of pine. I've graduated to cherry and walnut. Same thing. OK, I still use pine for some stuff.

                              Rick

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
                                Being ignorant whether water proof glue actually implies extra strength or not, soaked my
                                Sureply and a piece of genuine marine fir a solid week in just plain water.

                                Both are finally softening somewhat -but there's no appreciable difference between the two.

                                This less strenuous test makes me feel better about using the stuff.
                                Now to dry them...

                                Mark