re:Ultralite Tortoise

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
      Then again: If it were strong enough unglassed, maybe door skins
      would work with some of this. Looking like both sealer and finish
      coat, it's actually not that expensive.
      http://tinyurl.com/2mc2u7

      & green, green, green

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

      > On Feb 1, 2008 1:09 PM, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Looking for plywood yesterday, no worthwhile 1/8th inch found.
      >

      > It is just a Tortoise, and I used the cheapo $9/sheet door skin at
      > Home Depot.
      > Sheathed both sides with 8oz cloth and epoxy, it seems plenty strong.
      > The whole build probably totaled 10 man hours, spread over 10 days.

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
        > & green, green, green

        Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!

        Graeme
      • eep_05
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
          hate to dispel your illusion but soy is evil and most organic is
          soaked in diesel by the time you get it, better to get local produce
          when it is in season at least.

          http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

          and you cant make a boat out of it either.

          > > & green, green, green
          >
          > Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!
          >
          > Graeme

        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 6, 2008
            Hah! I live on soybeans, breakfast lunch and dinner. On an input
            ratio of only 1:7 compared to dead flesh, while not terribly smug
            about it, I'm happy with the no GMO stuff. I'll plow through
            soyonline, but sheesh, I gotta eat sompin'.

            Was only thinking about _coating_ a boat with it...

            Agree 100% about the diesel.

            If more, let's go over to
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger_coffee_lounge/
            Mark

            On Feb 2, 2008, at 9:00 PM, eep_05 wrote:

            > hate to dispel your illusion but soy is evil and most organic is
            > soaked in diesel by the time you get it, better to get local produce
            > when it is in season at least.
            >
            > http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/
            >
            > and you cant make a boat out of it either.
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
            > wrote:
            >>

            >>> & green, green, green
            >>
            >> Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!
            >>
            >> Graeme

            > dead horses
            > posts
            > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 9, 2008
              At 20#/ sheet it's only ultralight compared to fir or BC pine, but I
              picked up some of this luan underlay at one of the local HDs today.
              Nicely made, living sheets. Pretty flat. Three even plies. Minimal
              voids. Smooth both sides, one's got little x's as cutting guides all
              over. The young man in the lumber department couldn't say whether it
              was exterior glue, but googled to here.
              http://www.patriottimber.com/sureply.htm

              It was a surprise that different HDs carry different stock.

              $15 /sheet. China, of course.
              This is about the best cheap luan I've ever seen.
              Mark
            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 23, 2008
                Mark -
                Did you use the Sureply? While shopping for steel shelving at Lowes,
                in order to organize the workshop, I tripped across Type 1 glued Luan
                at $10 per sheet. Very tempting...but, two bays down found tons of
                1/4" Sureply at $20 per sheet. A quick scan of the Patriot Timber
                website shows that this stuff should be pretty good for Instant Boats.
                Will pick up a few sheets and bang together a June Bug to replace both
                the Dialbo and Pointy Skiff.

                Trout and bass season are rapidly approaching in the frosty Northeast
                US, (despite the 8" of snow last night) and I don't want to miss out on
                too much boating action. I can also picture a raid on Boston via a
                float down the Charles ("Love that Dirty Water")

                David Jost
              • dnjost
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 24, 2008
                  Dear Group -
                  please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                  better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                  made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.

                  sorry,
                  djost
                • GarthAB
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                    Hi David--

                    It looks like your ply just bent after boiling, but didn't delaminate.
                    Is that right, or did the glue give out? Wouldn't any wood bend after
                    an hour of boiling, like steam-bent oak frames?

                    Garth

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Group -
                    > please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                    > better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                    > made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.
                    >
                    > sorry,
                    > djost

                  • Giuliano Girometta
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                      When I performed the boiling test on the Radiata Pine as I stated last week when I was asking about information on Radiata Pine on boats, and on some BC yellow pine, the Radiata ply was stiff the same as dry, while the BC was able to be slightly flexed if put into a wise and bent with a pair of large channel lock plyers, but not delaminating.
                      While on the pics from David Looks like the Play layers were delaminated.

                      Giuliano

                      GarthAB <garth@...> wrote:
                      Hi David--

                      It looks like your ply just bent after boiling, but didn't delaminate.
                      Is that right, or did the glue give out? Wouldn't any wood bend after
                      an hour of boiling, like steam-bent oak frames?

                      Garth

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Group -
                      > please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                      > better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                      > made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.
                      >
                      > sorry,
                      > djost

                    • dnjost
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 26, 2008
                        The ply did not bend as stated, the glue failed. When I attempted to
                        simply pull the plys apart, the failure was not immediate, but after
                        cooling for 10 minutes I applied a twist and simply opened it up like
                        an oreo cookie.

                        D. Jost
                      • dnjost
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 26, 2008
                          Garth -

                          Interestingly enough, not all wood bends after heating. I tried steam
                          bending white oak, red oak, ash, fir, and pine. Only the oaks and ash
                          took the process, with the others cracking under pressure. A simple
                          drain pipe out of PVC, rags, and a double boiler with PVC hosing
                          clamped on has been my method for small canoe parts. 1hour per inch of
                          cross section. pretty easy and fun!

                          The 1/2 " ACX I boiled for over an hour and could not flex it, twist
                          it, or cause failure of any kinds. I am sure that after repeated
                          boiling and cool cycles I could eventually get failure, but for a boat
                          that I plan on running 10-15 years and kept under cover this should be
                          fine.

                          Happy building,
                          David Jost
                        • Mark Albanese
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 27, 2008
                            Supposing, David, we may have actually purchased different products,
                            that yours was mislabled somehow, today I had a chance to boil my own
                            Sureply (R).

                            Tried a couple of 2 x 4" pieces.

                            After an hour and a bend with vicegrips, #1 came apart with fingers.

                            Cooled awhile, #2 wasn't much better.

                            Personally, this is my third cheap luan boat. I haven't found a batch
                            of the stuff yet that actually would survive this test. One is sealed
                            with deck stuff and paint; another just with epoxy. Both are useful
                            in their limited way. They are both stored indoors.

                            You hit the bullseye with the occume. The ACX is pretty grim stuff.

                            These otherwise well made sheets are nicely uniform. But If a
                            lightweight, smooth, voidless, truly waterproof, $15 sheet seems too
                            good to be true, perhaps it is. Maybe Sureply is really just good
                            pattern stuff. :)

                            Cheerz, Mark

                            On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:12 AM, dnjost wrote:

                            > The 1/2 " ACX I boiled for over an hour and could not flex it, twist
                            > it, or cause failure of any kinds. I am sure that after repeated
                            > boiling and cool cycles I could eventually get failure, but for a boat
                            > that I plan on running 10-15 years and kept under cover this should be
                            > fine.
                            >
                            > Happy building,
                            > David Jost
                            > "calling Maine Lumber tomorrow for a delivery of Okoume".

                          • dnjost
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 1, 2008
                              I did not take a photo of it, but the ACX I boiled last week has had a
                              week in the arid atmosphere of the artic freeze we are having in New
                              England. The indoor low humidity dried that sucker out in record time
                              leaving a very nicely checked piece of plywood. The glue is holding,
                              but I can now see how easily the water will penetrate this ply.

                              that explains why the skiff I built of ACX deteriorated the way it
                              did. The rot could just get into the cracks and go crazy.

                              thanks for your patience, I am being a tad oc as I want my next build
                              to be terrific.

                              David Jost
                            • rick barnes
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                                Spend the money and get good marine plywood. First boat, sure, go cheap. After you have a bit of experience, and want to show your workmanship, use the good stuff. I used to build furniture out of pine. I've graduated to cherry and walnut. Same thing. OK, I still use pine for some stuff.

                                Rick

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  Being ignorant whether water proof glue actually implies extra strength or not, soaked my
                                  Sureply and a piece of genuine marine fir a solid week in just plain water.

                                  Both are finally softening somewhat -but there's no appreciable difference between the two.

                                  This less strenuous test makes me feel better about using the stuff.
                                  Now to dry them...

                                  Mark