Re: Minnesota

  • uncleralph123
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...> wrote:

      > Also, Bolger says in the essay that TODAY, he would put a thick shoe
      > on Minnesota, "like the Clam Skiffs". I take that to mean 2-3
      > thicknesses of 1/2" plywood. I would take him literally and use Clam
      > Skiff sketches to work out the proportions. I would not build the
      > center board. To much risk of maintenance problems. I'd rather add
      > it externally if it proved absolutely necessary.

      Don,

      Interestingly, this is what Bolger thought when he wrote the article,
      but not now. When I purchased the plans I wrote him a letter asking
      about this very statement. His answer was that he would build it as
      originally designed with the centerboard and not the thick shoe. In
      fact if you look closely at the plans you can see where the shoe was
      added and then erased.

      Ralph
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 7, 2008
        > The status of Sitka Explorer came up, I think, more than a year ago.
        > I believe the design has been commisioned but the work has not been
        > completed. A search using Sitka as the search term will bring up an
        > hour of reading.

        That is for sure! For instance, on August 18, 2004 Leo Hill wrote
        that he had recently spoken with SA and was told that Sitka Explorer
        was hoped to be completed by Christmas 2004.