Re: Idaho

  • donschultz8275
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chodges31711" <chodges@...> wrote:
      > ............The 4'10" interior of the shelter house needs to be higher.

      I used to think the same, and even sketched a much bigger house.

      But the design was originally for a wheelchair bound user. In a light
      camping cruiser, on the narrow beam, more high windage is not a good
      idea. A better idea for easier use of the boat for standing/walking
      users is a slot top house with a snap on canvas cover IE Bolger's
      Birdwatcher, Micro or Micalak's AF4. Same sleeping utility for camp
      cruising as the designed hardtop.

      If you really want a more livable standing room cabin you should also
      plan on a broader beam boat. Other designs are more appropriate, IE
      Minnesota, Champlain, Windermere, etc.

      I also have a set of CSD Idaho plans. If I built one, it wouldn't
      have a cabin, but would be arranged as a "Super Sneakeasy" runabout
      with classic looks, and room for friends. I'd put a bimini on it and
      a modest ob motor, perhaps a faux barrelback look to the stern, and
      brightworks finish decks. ;-D
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
        A few years ago I drew a quick sketch of a scaled-up Idaho. It would
        have full headroom, but still not more than camping accommodation.
        At 2 tons displacement it's not really all that much bigger than a
        Tennessee, at about 1.2 tons I think. See:

        http://www.geocities.com/howardstephenson/Idaho2.jpg

        Howard

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...>
        wrote:

        A better idea for easier use of the boat for standing/walking
        > users is a slot top house with a snap on canvas cover IE Bolger's
        > Birdwatcher, Micro or Micalak's AF4. Same sleeping utility for
        camp
        > cruising as the designed hardtop.
        >
        > If you really want a more livable standing room cabin you should
        also
        > plan on a broader beam boat. Other designs are more appropriate,
        IE
        > Minnesota, Champlain, Windermere, etc.
        >
        > I also have a set of CSD Idaho plans. If I built one, it wouldn't
        > have a cabin, but would be arranged as a "Super Sneakeasy" runabout
        > with classic looks, and room for friends. I'd put a bimini on it
        and
        > a modest ob motor, perhaps a faux barrelback look to the stern, and
        > brightworks finish decks.
      • Maximo
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
        • 31 KB
        I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.

        What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
        fiberglassed to the botton?

        Regards, Máximo.
      • Bill Howard
        Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
          Why use PVC pipe, with all the additional work required ("split down the center, fill with expanding foam....") when wood is so easy to work with?  I used wood for the skids on my June Bug, as specified.  Glued and screwed to the bottom, then painted.

          Bill Howard
          Nellysford VA
          On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ben wrote:

          I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70 degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

          > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
          >
          > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
          > fiberglassed to the botton?
          >
          > Regards, Máximo.

        • Ben
          Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
            I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70 degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

            > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
            >
            > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
            > fiberglassed to the botton?
            >
            > Regards, Máximo.

          • Ben
            Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
              I agree.Wood is easier and less expensive in my area.Just something I saw someone else do.I think maybe they liked to add difficult modifications just to be able to say they did it that way and it worked.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Howard <billh39@...> wrote:

              > Why use PVC pipe, with all the additional work required ("split down
              > the center, fill with expanding foam....") when wood is so easy to
              > work with? I used wood for the skids on my June Bug, as specified.
              > Glued and screwed to the bottom, then painted.
              >
              > Bill Howard
              > Nellysford VA
              > On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ben wrote:
              >

              > > I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down
              > > the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70
              > > degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and
              > > epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with
              > > 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help
              > > making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.
              > >
              > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
              > > >
              > > > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
              > > > fiberglassed to the botton?
              > > >
              > > > Regards, Máximo.

            • David Darnell
              Message 7 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
                I'd think wooden skids with glass or a stronger fabric tape would be better.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

                > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
                >
                > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
                > fiberglassed to the botton?
                >
                > Regards, Máximo.

              • Maximo
                Message 8 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
                  Thank you all for your advice.
                  I´m building on a very low budget, using polyester resin. I was looking an
                  alternative. But I think I will use wood.
                  Thanks, regards, Máximo.
                • Chester Young
                  Message 9 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009

                    On EstherMae the ‘keel’ is built from wood and was attached after the bottom was fiber-glassed.  16 years after construction it is still functioning, with a couple of gaps between the bottom and the keel where a person can see through a gap when she is on her trailer.  I do not know if the original method included any type of adhesive or if screws were run through the bottom into the keel but nothing leaks and I frequently leave her in the water a week at a time or more.

                    Caloosarat