Re: Houseboat #481

  • Paul McLellan
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

      > Paul -
      >
      > i would love a picture of the roof rack with the front extension.
      That
      > would solve so many issues with long boats. My car's roof would
      > appreciate it.
      >
      > David Jost

      No picture required David but I could send you some off line. I made
      the racks out of 1 1/4" square steel pipe 3/16" thickness. It is 5
      feet wide and the extension is a 5 foot piece of 1" square pipe which
      fits perfectly inside the rack. I just silde it in a foot or so and
      voila, start loading the boat! Sometime if space is a problem, I can
      store the extension inside the rack. These are the best racks I have
      had and total cost was $20, It is on a Honda CR-V and the car part
      is a piece of angle iron drilled out to fit the pre-drilled holes on
      the roof. I welded pieces of angle on the square pipe that fit the
      car piece. The rack is bolted to the car with 3/8 bolts and is put
      on or removed in a few minutes. This is a very strong rack. The
      Junebug is a snap to load because it is so light but have loaded much
      heavier boats easily. The longer the boat, the easier it is.
      regards and happy boating, Paul waiting for a major blizzard and
      fairing the bottom on a Small clam skiff. I can see it on the roof
      rack now.