re:Ultralite Tortoise

  • martin.me.roberts@bt.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
      Can you tell me where the pictures of this may be seen?

      Thanks

      Martin

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
          Thanks for these. I'd found the flikr pix, but some good stuff is in
          a part of Hallman.org one can't just browse to. The Freeship model
          shows clearly just where you've put the deck curve.

          Looking for plywood yesterday, no worthwhile 1/8th inch found. The
          4mm occume weighing just 12# or so would serve but seems like
          overkill at $49 a sheet. On the other hand if Tortoise is such a good
          little boat, maybe that's the ticket.

          Also found some $10 box store luan with three more or less even plys
          and exterior glue that weighs just 20 pounds a sheet - will grab some
          of that today, whatever.

          Cheerz

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
            On Feb 1, 2008 1:09 PM, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

            > Looking for plywood yesterday, no worthwhile 1/8th inch found.

            It is just a Tortoise, and I used the cheapo $9/sheet door skin at Home Depot.
            Sheathed both sides with 8oz cloth and epoxy, it seems plenty strong.
            The whole build probably totaled 10 man hours, spread over 10 days.
          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
              Hah! Went back to Lowes thinking 'hey, might as well grab 5 or 6
              sheets." Couldn't find two. Curled, raw looking, truly enormous
              boats, and, worst, the underside already suffering a lurid gray mold.
              To be rid of that you I've spent a long time bleaching the xxx out of
              it. If it's that way coming out of the store it won't last long in my
              neighborhood. I just don't want to mess with it.

              Thinking the occume... A gold plated Tortoise is an amusing idea. But
              maybe not so practical. I've also been figuring up the true
              dimensions of one of Gavin's _Little Bretons_. That's probably a
              better place to sink $49 a sheet.

              For a novice sailor, the Torti may be the better boat though.

              Yes, the 3 x 7 foot door skins at HD looked good. That's confirmed
              not exterior glue though, and I'm not inclined to glass it all. May
              as well go for the better sheets.
              With 8oz glass filled with epoxy, I'm somewhat surprised yours still
              feels any lighter to you than stock 1/4" sheets.

              BTW I love your rope handle setup. Proves again that genius rests in
              the obvious.

              Cheerz

              \

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
                Then again: If it were strong enough unglassed, maybe door skins
                would work with some of this. Looking like both sealer and finish
                coat, it's actually not that expensive.
                http://tinyurl.com/2mc2u7

                & green, green, green

                On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                > On Feb 1, 2008 1:09 PM, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Looking for plywood yesterday, no worthwhile 1/8th inch found.
                >

                > It is just a Tortoise, and I used the cheapo $9/sheet door skin at
                > Home Depot.
                > Sheathed both sides with 8oz cloth and epoxy, it seems plenty strong.
                > The whole build probably totaled 10 man hours, spread over 10 days.

              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
                  > & green, green, green

                  Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!

                  Graeme
                • eep_05
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2008
                    hate to dispel your illusion but soy is evil and most organic is
                    soaked in diesel by the time you get it, better to get local produce
                    when it is in season at least.

                    http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

                    and you cant make a boat out of it either.

                    > > & green, green, green
                    >
                    > Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!
                    >
                    > Graeme

                  • Mark Albanese
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 6, 2008
                      Hah! I live on soybeans, breakfast lunch and dinner. On an input
                      ratio of only 1:7 compared to dead flesh, while not terribly smug
                      about it, I'm happy with the no GMO stuff. I'll plow through
                      soyonline, but sheesh, I gotta eat sompin'.

                      Was only thinking about _coating_ a boat with it...

                      Agree 100% about the diesel.

                      If more, let's go over to
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger_coffee_lounge/
                      Mark

                      On Feb 2, 2008, at 9:00 PM, eep_05 wrote:

                      > hate to dispel your illusion but soy is evil and most organic is
                      > soaked in diesel by the time you get it, better to get local produce
                      > when it is in season at least.
                      >
                      > http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/
                      >
                      > and you cant make a boat out of it either.
                      >
                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>

                      >>> & green, green, green
                      >>
                      >> Organic soy? ;) or Amazon rainforest :( & GMO?? :+0!
                      >>
                      >> Graeme

                      > dead horses
                      > posts
                      > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mark Albanese
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 9, 2008
                        At 20#/ sheet it's only ultralight compared to fir or BC pine, but I
                        picked up some of this luan underlay at one of the local HDs today.
                        Nicely made, living sheets. Pretty flat. Three even plies. Minimal
                        voids. Smooth both sides, one's got little x's as cutting guides all
                        over. The young man in the lumber department couldn't say whether it
                        was exterior glue, but googled to here.
                        http://www.patriottimber.com/sureply.htm

                        It was a surprise that different HDs carry different stock.

                        $15 /sheet. China, of course.
                        This is about the best cheap luan I've ever seen.
                        Mark
                      • dnjost
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 23, 2008
                          Mark -
                          Did you use the Sureply? While shopping for steel shelving at Lowes,
                          in order to organize the workshop, I tripped across Type 1 glued Luan
                          at $10 per sheet. Very tempting...but, two bays down found tons of
                          1/4" Sureply at $20 per sheet. A quick scan of the Patriot Timber
                          website shows that this stuff should be pretty good for Instant Boats.
                          Will pick up a few sheets and bang together a June Bug to replace both
                          the Dialbo and Pointy Skiff.

                          Trout and bass season are rapidly approaching in the frosty Northeast
                          US, (despite the 8" of snow last night) and I don't want to miss out on
                          too much boating action. I can also picture a raid on Boston via a
                          float down the Charles ("Love that Dirty Water")

                          David Jost
                        • dnjost
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 24, 2008
                            Dear Group -
                            please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                            better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                            made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.

                            sorry,
                            djost
                          • GarthAB
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                              Hi David--

                              It looks like your ply just bent after boiling, but didn't delaminate.
                              Is that right, or did the glue give out? Wouldn't any wood bend after
                              an hour of boiling, like steam-bent oak frames?

                              Garth

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Group -
                              > please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                              > better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                              > made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.
                              >
                              > sorry,
                              > djost

                            • Giuliano Girometta
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                                When I performed the boiling test on the Radiata Pine as I stated last week when I was asking about information on Radiata Pine on boats, and on some BC yellow pine, the Radiata ply was stiff the same as dry, while the BC was able to be slightly flexed if put into a wise and bent with a pair of large channel lock plyers, but not delaminating.
                                While on the pics from David Looks like the Play layers were delaminated.

                                Giuliano

                                GarthAB <garth@...> wrote:
                                Hi David--

                                It looks like your ply just bent after boiling, but didn't delaminate.
                                Is that right, or did the glue give out? Wouldn't any wood bend after
                                an hour of boiling, like steam-bent oak frames?

                                Garth

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                                > Dear Group -
                                > please read my post on the boil test I did on Sureply. I would be
                                > better off with the $10 luan. While the faces and interior plys are
                                > made well, the glue is not suitable for long term exterior use.
                                >
                                > sorry,
                                > djost

                              • dnjost
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 26, 2008
                                  The ply did not bend as stated, the glue failed. When I attempted to
                                  simply pull the plys apart, the failure was not immediate, but after
                                  cooling for 10 minutes I applied a twist and simply opened it up like
                                  an oreo cookie.

                                  D. Jost
                                • dnjost
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 26, 2008
                                    Garth -

                                    Interestingly enough, not all wood bends after heating. I tried steam
                                    bending white oak, red oak, ash, fir, and pine. Only the oaks and ash
                                    took the process, with the others cracking under pressure. A simple
                                    drain pipe out of PVC, rags, and a double boiler with PVC hosing
                                    clamped on has been my method for small canoe parts. 1hour per inch of
                                    cross section. pretty easy and fun!

                                    The 1/2 " ACX I boiled for over an hour and could not flex it, twist
                                    it, or cause failure of any kinds. I am sure that after repeated
                                    boiling and cool cycles I could eventually get failure, but for a boat
                                    that I plan on running 10-15 years and kept under cover this should be
                                    fine.

                                    Happy building,
                                    David Jost
                                  • Mark Albanese
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 27, 2008
                                      Supposing, David, we may have actually purchased different products,
                                      that yours was mislabled somehow, today I had a chance to boil my own
                                      Sureply (R).

                                      Tried a couple of 2 x 4" pieces.

                                      After an hour and a bend with vicegrips, #1 came apart with fingers.

                                      Cooled awhile, #2 wasn't much better.

                                      Personally, this is my third cheap luan boat. I haven't found a batch
                                      of the stuff yet that actually would survive this test. One is sealed
                                      with deck stuff and paint; another just with epoxy. Both are useful
                                      in their limited way. They are both stored indoors.

                                      You hit the bullseye with the occume. The ACX is pretty grim stuff.

                                      These otherwise well made sheets are nicely uniform. But If a
                                      lightweight, smooth, voidless, truly waterproof, $15 sheet seems too
                                      good to be true, perhaps it is. Maybe Sureply is really just good
                                      pattern stuff. :)

                                      Cheerz, Mark

                                      On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:12 AM, dnjost wrote:

                                      > The 1/2 " ACX I boiled for over an hour and could not flex it, twist
                                      > it, or cause failure of any kinds. I am sure that after repeated
                                      > boiling and cool cycles I could eventually get failure, but for a boat
                                      > that I plan on running 10-15 years and kept under cover this should be
                                      > fine.
                                      >
                                      > Happy building,
                                      > David Jost
                                      > "calling Maine Lumber tomorrow for a delivery of Okoume".

                                    • dnjost
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 1, 2008
                                        I did not take a photo of it, but the ACX I boiled last week has had a
                                        week in the arid atmosphere of the artic freeze we are having in New
                                        England. The indoor low humidity dried that sucker out in record time
                                        leaving a very nicely checked piece of plywood. The glue is holding,
                                        but I can now see how easily the water will penetrate this ply.

                                        that explains why the skiff I built of ACX deteriorated the way it
                                        did. The rot could just get into the cracks and go crazy.

                                        thanks for your patience, I am being a tad oc as I want my next build
                                        to be terrific.

                                        David Jost
                                      • rick barnes
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                                          Spend the money and get good marine plywood. First boat, sure, go cheap. After you have a bit of experience, and want to show your workmanship, use the good stuff. I used to build furniture out of pine. I've graduated to cherry and walnut. Same thing. OK, I still use pine for some stuff.

                                          Rick

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
                                            Being ignorant whether water proof glue actually implies extra strength or not, soaked my
                                            Sureply and a piece of genuine marine fir a solid week in just plain water.

                                            Both are finally softening somewhat -but there's no appreciable difference between the two.

                                            This less strenuous test makes me feel better about using the stuff.
                                            Now to dry them...

                                            Mark