Re: New Construction Photos Posted

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi Doug,

      > I would think that at 8800' elevation, you would be looking for
      > over-canvased designs by sea level standards. The lower air density
      > that far up should reduce drive noticeably. I think air density is
      > down to 75% of sea level values at 10,000 feet.

      That's one reason people who vacation out here get plastered on two
      beers and ski into trees. I think the density is something like 87% of
      MSL or so at the elevation of the lake, depending on temperature and
      pressure. The force of aerodynamic lift that makes a sailboat go, just
      like an airplane, is directly proportional to air density and sail
      area, but is proportional to the square of the velocity over the
      airfoil (the sail in this case). At this particular lake, it's
      possible to get a whole lot of v**2 without warning, and we don't miss
      the density loss when that happens.

      Jon Kolb
    • bhilpholger
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 20, 2008
        Hey, all - I just had the pleasure of spending two hours alone in a
        Pulsifer Hampton on a beautiful lake in Northern MN. As I think all
        of you know, it is a heavy (2,200 lb) wooden diesel launch, handmade
        by Dick Pulsifer. Does anyone know if Bolger has drawn anything
        similar, perhaps in a cold-molded version that would be easier to
        build and wouldn't take to much maintenance? Dan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 20, 2008
          On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:00 AM, bhilpholger <dwknoedler@...> wrote:
          > Hey, all - I just had the pleasure of spending two hours alone in a
          > Pulsifer Hampton on a beautiful lake in Northern MN. As I think all
          > of you know, it is a heavy (2,200 lb) wooden diesel launch, handmade
          > by Dick Pulsifer. Does anyone know if Bolger has drawn anything
          > similar, perhaps in a cold-molded version that would be easier to
          > build and wouldn't take to much maintenance? Dan

          I am not familiar with your boat, but Googling it, I see that it is a
          fine lined open hull 22 footer.

          Phil Bolger has designed many 'lobster boats' which I am guessing
          would be similar in hull shape. I would guess that over the years,
          ten or twenty of them in various sizes. One of the better known is
          'Merlin' (aka 'Marina Cruiser'), 2T3" x7'10", found in his book 'Boats
          with an open mind', but there are many others.

          (Merlin has a cuddy cabin, and topsides, but could be built as an open
          boat) see here:

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/2312709201/

          The other Bolger boat that seems similar is their 'Shivaree', which
          comes in various lengths up to 21'4".

          See the Shivaree 18 footer here:

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/2536863980/
        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 20, 2008
            Also in Boats with an Open Mind is the outboard-powered "Fisherman's
            Launch", a Shivaree stretched to 21'4" x 7'.

            In the article Bolger acknowledges the similarity with the Pulsifer
            boats. He's designed it for carvel construction, but there's a photo
            of one built cold-moulded. If I recall correctly this same boat was
            featured in a story in WoodenBoat a dozen or so years ago.

            This design is light enough and has the right lines for it to plane.
            Bolger reckoned it would do about 30 mph with 50 hp. Modifying the
            design for inboard power would be quite a task, but if it were mine,
            I'd be mounting a quiet, economical four-stroke on the transom.

            Howard

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 20, 2008
              > I'd be mounting a quiet, economical four-stroke on the transom.
              >
              > Howard

              I'm dreaming of putting a old style low RPM one cylinder 6 hp diesel
              (wvo) motor inboard like this,

              http://www.listeroid.com/engines.html
            • daschultz2000
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 20, 2008
                IMO the designs available to homebuilders most like the Pulsifer are
                old Atkins.

                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/

                You might also check Payson's Instant Boats, Downeast Dories section
                and find what you are looking for there.

                http://www.instantboats.com/downeastdories/dories.php

                Some are Atkin, some are Bolger.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 20, 2008
                  Sam,

                  Which boat are you speaking of in BWOM? The Boy's Launch?

                  Don

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone built the diesel launch, from Boats with
                  > an Open Mind? It is a pretty little plywood inboard
                  > diesel cruiser. I am interested if any have been
                  > built and what kind of performance they got with the
                  > little diesel called for in the specs. Thanks. Sam

                • Howard Stephenson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 22, 2008
                    Another possibility from Boats with an Open Mind is Plywood Diesel
                    Cruiser, 23'6" x 7'5", about 3,000 lb displacement. Two problems here:
                    plywood and cruiser. Being plywood would not be too apparent afloat,
                    since the chine is under water aft and quite low forward. Converting
                    the design into a launch would be easy enough. The freeboard is maybe
                    a little too high for a launch, but that would be easy to fix, and you
                    could have a nice lively sheerline at the same time. I've always
                    thought the superstructure looked a little clumsy on this design
                    anyway.

                    A third posssible problem is the transom-hung wooden rudder that to
                    some would not appear very elegant.

                    Specified power is a Yanmar 2GM20F. Details of this engine at:
                    http://www.marine-power.co.uk/2gm20f%20specs.htm

                    I don't know if one was ever built, but it appears to be a complete
                    design, reproduced offset and all in the book.

                    Howard
                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 22, 2008
                      Yesterday I was helping a good friend move some stuff back down to his boat and I happened to see a Microtrawler tied up on a dock not to far away. Rich and I took the time to take a look at it. Rich had never seen one and it was the third one I had seen in real life. By chance is the owner here on the list?

                      Blessings all Kriss

                    • Howard Stephenson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 23, 2008
                        email. I've replied twice but both replies bounced. As far as I know
                        no-one has built to this design. I think Boats with an Open Mind is
                        still in print, and a good library should be able to make available a
                        copy of the book.

                        Howard

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                        <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                        > Another possibility from Boats with an Open Mind is Plywood Diesel
                        > Cruiser, 23'6" x 7'5", about 3,000 lb displacement.
                      • Clyde Wisner
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                          Sorry to be so lomg getting back but if you don't find anything by PCB,
                          you probably ought to look at "selway-fisher.com" or I think he's on
                          duckworks also. Paul Fisher has some great design for steam or small
                          diesel. Clyde