Chebacco Study Plans

  • txsailor37
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 18, 2008
      I am seriously considering building a Chebacco. I would like to do a
      comparison between the standard 20' model and the raised deck version.
      I found the study plans for the rasied deck version in the sudy plans
      group, but I can not find any study plans for the standard model. I
      have looked everywhere, including the entire Chebacco News website.
      Does anyone know where I can study plans for this version?????
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 18, 2008
        On Jan 18, 2008 9:06 AM, txsailor37 <txsailor37@...> wrote:

        > I am seriously considering building a Chebacco. I would like to do a

        > have looked everywhere, the entire Chebacco News website. Does anyone
        > know where I can study plans for this version?????

        You have probably see the chapter in Bolger's book _Boats With an Open Mind_
        http://www.amazon.com/Boats-Open-Mind-Seventy-Five-Unconventional/dp/0070063761
        starting on page 223 (Chapter 45)

        Also, I see that Payson at www.instantboats.com sells Chebacco study
        plans for $0.50.

        You also may have already seen my 3D study renderings.
        http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1361835861/
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18, 2008
          > I am seriously considering building a Chebacco. I would like to do a
          > comparison between the standard 20' model and the raised deck
          version.
          > I found the study plans for the rasied deck version in the sudy plans
          > group, but I can not find any study plans for the standard model. I
          > have looked everywhere, including the entire Chebacco News website.
          > Does anyone know where I can study plans for this version?????

          The complete plans for the original sheet-plywood version are in
          Payson's latest book, available from his website www.instantboats.com
          or from the WoodenBoat Store. Much of the original plan also appears
          in Bolger's book Boats With an Open Mind, available from several
          sources, including WB. That book also has some details of the other
          versions.

          Jon Kolb
        • Chris Feller
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 18, 2008
            You also might consider just buying the standard 20' version plans
            from Payson. They are only $60.00 which is not a lot for a set of
            plans of a boat of this size and capability. Also you will learn much
            more from complete plans than any set of study plans.

            I very much like this design. It is just more boat than I can build
            in my garage. Otherwise I might build one.

            Chris Feller

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
              I guess the big question I am trying to get an answer to is...how big
              is the cabin? I can see from the study plans of the raised deck
              version that it has 2 berths and would be acceptable for 2 people to
              spend the weekend. I am concerned about the stability of the raised
              deck version though, and I like the lines of the standard more. But I
              am afraid the cabin on the standard version is so small as to be
              unacceptable for a two people.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "txsailor37" <txsailor37@...> wrote:

              > I am seriously considering building a Chebacco. I would like to do a
              > comparison between the standard 20' model and the raised deck version.
              > I found the study plans for the rasied deck version in the sudy plans
              > group, but I can not find any study plans for the standard model. I
              > have looked everywhere, including the entire Chebacco News website.
              > Does anyone know where I can study plans for this version?????

            • Ed Heins
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                I've built a Chebacco and would be glad to talk to you off line about cabin
                size, building issues or any other areas of concern you might have.
                Email me off line and I'll give you my cell number.

                Regards,

                Ed
                >I guess the big question I am trying to get an answer to is...how big
                > is the cabin? I can see from the study plans of the raised deck
                > version that it has 2 berths and would be acceptable for 2 people to
                > spend the weekend. I am concerned about the stability of the raised
                > deck version though, and I like the lines of the standard more. But I
                > am afraid the cabin on the standard version is so small as to be
                > unacceptable for a two people.
                >

                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "txsailor37" <txsailor37@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I am seriously considering building a Chebacco. I would like to do a
                >> comparison between the standard 20' model and the raised deck version.
                >> I found the study plans for the rasied deck version in the sudy plans
                >> group, but I can not find any study plans for the standard model. I
                >> have looked everywhere, including the entire Chebacco News website.
                >> Does anyone know where I can study plans for this version?????

                > horses
                > (978) 282-1349
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --
                > believed to be clean.

              • alefoot
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                  I doubt that you will get a better offer than the one from Ed, but
                  there is an entire chapter in "Boats with an open mind" devoted to the
                  Chebacco boats. I've uploaded a scruffy scan of the construction
                  drawings to the Study Plans group, under the Chebacco heading where
                  you found the Raised deck images. [my apologies for the quality, the
                  computer to hand has no image edit software installed :) ]
                • GarthAB
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 20, 2008
                    Hey guys --

                    Don't take it offline! There's a number of us here who would love to
                    eavesdrop on everything Ed has to say. Or, if you talk on the phone,
                    at least post the highlights . . .

                    All best,
                    Garth
                    (who never tires of hearing about Chebaccos)

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Heins" <eheins@...> wrote:

                    > I've built a Chebacco and would be glad to talk to you off line
                    about cabin
                    > size, building issues or any other areas of concern you might have.
                    > Email me off line and I'll give you my cell number.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Ed

                  • Clyde Wisner
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 22, 2008
                      Is there a navigator version of Chebacco? Clyde

                      Bruce Hallman wrote:

                      > On Jan 18, 2008 9:06 AM, txsailor37 <txsailor37@...
                      > <mailto:txsailor37%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am seriously considering building a Chebacco. I would like to do a
                      >
                      > > have looked everywhere, the entire Chebacco News website. Does anyone
                      > > know where I can study plans for this version?????

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 22, 2008
                        The cabin of the standard Chebacco is slightly larger than a standard
                        2 person backpacking tent - just enough room for 2 people to lie down
                        with a little room at the hatch end for small items. I'm 6'2 and can
                        stretch out pretty good and sitting head room is adequate, but any
                        bulky items need to go out in the cockpit if 2 people are to sleep in
                        the cabin.

                        Bill

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "txsailor37" <txsailor37@...> wrote:

                        > I guess the big question I am trying to get an answer to is...how big
                        > is the cabin? I can see from the study plans of the raised deck
                        > version that it has 2 berths and would be acceptable for 2 people to
                        > spend the weekend. I am concerned about the stability of the raised
                        > deck version though, and I like the lines of the standard more. But I
                        > am afraid the cabin on the standard version is so small as to be
                        > unacceptable for a two people.

                      • Howard Stephenson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 23, 2008
                          "Boats with an Open Mind" shows plans for a sheet-ply 20-ft. version
                          with a shallow fixed lead-ballasted keel, higher topsides and a
                          longer, higher shelter house with large windows.

                          Inside there's a settee-berth on each side, with a shelf for a stove
                          on the centreline forward and a space for stowing a Porta-Potti on the
                          centreline aft, under the self-draining cockpit.

                          Howard

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:

                          > Is there a navigator version of Chebacco?
                        • Jamie Orr
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 26, 2008
                            I can't help it, I've got to add my two bits worth!

                            I've been sailing the standard (vanilla) Chebacco since 2000 and
                            she's a great boat. The cabin is small, but both myself and my
                            father are 6 feet and over 200 pounds and we fit in comfortably
                            without crowding. We use air mattresses, strapping them up against
                            the hull during the day -- this way we don't lose any useful space
                            in the cabin but don't have to pump then up every night. Headroom
                            is sacrificed to good looks, when I sit upright my hair brushes the
                            cabin top but I only go in there to sleep.

                            If two people are sleeping in the cabin, the gear comes out into the
                            cockpit (plenty room for gear inside when single handed). We can
                            also sleep in the cockpit. I have narrow rails running just below
                            the cockpit seat tops that will take the floorboards, converting the
                            whole cockpit into a sleeping area. The boom tent covers the
                            cockpit and has spreaders to give sitting headroom right out to the
                            coaming.

                            I keep galley equipment and food in two Rubbermaid storage boxes,
                            these are a good size but don't ding the paint. The two burner
                            propane stove goes under the cockpit seat, reached from the cabin,
                            while the one pound propane bottles fit nicely into the storage
                            under the motor well, entirely separate from the living space.

                            The storage spaces on either side of the motor well hold all PFDs,
                            two Mustang cruiser suits, regular wet weather gear, headsails
                            (which are not necessary), fenders, ropes, boom tent and a three man
                            (two, really) inflatable with paddles and a decent sized stirrup
                            type air pump.

                            We usually cruise with two aboard, and have often been out for a
                            week at a time, we have also spent several consecutive nights
                            cruising with three. We've slept four, but it takes coordination to
                            get everything stowed and unstowed. The gear fitted under the
                            raised floorboards but rather than risk having to pull them up
                            multiple times we left one bag on the dock -- but we had space for
                            it!

                            We also carry a five gallon, hard plastic barrel for water, and a
                            small porta-potti. We try to avoid using the porta potti, but it
                            has saved the day once or twice. Placed just inside the cabin, with
                            the drop boards in place, you have perfect privacy from the neck
                            down....

                            So yes, the Chebacco is a small cruiser, but compared to
                            backpacking, canoeing or kayaking, its downright palatial. And all
                            this comes in a shallow draft, trailerable hull that would make far
                            greater sacrifices well worthwhile.

                            Jamie Orr,
                            Chebacco "Wayward Lass"

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 27, 2008
                              I want to thank everyone for their input. I took the advice and
                              bought Paysons New book. Ihave now been able to compare the
                              differences between the two types of Chebaccos, and what Jamie says
                              here confirms my conclusion. The best of the Chebacco's ...for me...
                              is the original. I like the looks, the fact that it is considered to
                              be fairly stable without adding ballast, and is very trailerable. I
                              also talked to Ed Heins, he confirms that he loves his boat. It
                              sails well and he is content with the original cabin. I am not going
                              to live on the boat, I want to be able to get the kids out of the
                              weather and camp ocasionally. I am looking foraward to this build,
                              unfortunately, I have several honey-dos to get done before I can
                              start and I need more shop space!!!!

                              Bobby