Tennessee or similar

  • bruce_fountain
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 15, 2008
      Hi guys, I haven't posted here for a long time, but I
      still lurk occasionally.

      I am planning to quit work later this year and take (at least)
      a year off. I recently read a quote by author Steve Biddulph
      and he says every man should be required to take a year off
      when he turns 40 and who am I to argue with a prominent writer?
      My wife has just finished her Masters and starts teaching in
      Feb, so I am promoted to housewife for a while at least.
      Possibly a career change next year (I have been studying
      architectural drafting at nightschool).

      Anyway... I expect to have more disposable time than I have
      seen in the last 20 years, at least 2 or 3 hours a day of
      uninterrupted boatbuilding time.

      I just got my Christmas bonus and we have been considering
      buying a "family boat", but having some difficulty finding
      something that suits. We were very tempted by this motorsailer:

      http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=29718

      but the price is a little out of my range, especially when
      you add about $5K for the mooring. Also it is an old wooden
      hull and an old diesel engine and I am not very handy with
      engines. However, in many respects this is a great boat for us.

      So... I am thinking of maybe a Tennessee or something similar.
      Here are my requirements:

      * trailerable, although something I could put on a mooring
      would be good

      * possible to configure 5 berths - 2 adults, 17yo girl, 10yo
      girl and 8yo boy plus a small dog. We are happy to convert
      seating to bunks

      * toilet

      * protection from the weather, especially the sun (we are in
      Perth, Western Australia

      * small outboard engine. Prefer that the engine is enclosed

      * aesthetically pleasing. See link above for an idea of what
      we consider to be attractive. I haven't seen a tennessee
      in real life, but it looks good in the pictures

      We will be mostly pottering around on the Swan river, we would
      probably trailer it to other protected waters occasionally. If
      it could handle the 20km ocean trip to Rottnest island that
      would be fabulous, but that is probably asking a bit much.

      I like to sail my laser and the kids also have small dinghies
      but everyone has made it clear that they don't want a yacht.
      A shame because there are good plastic yachts going for a
      reasonable price. Second hand stinkboats tend to be ugly,
      overpowered and pricey (unless they are really old and leaky).

      So questions:

      * What design? Tennessee has always appealed, but maybe one
      of the other state series boats? What about the bolger
      houseboat? Devlin's Millie Hill?

      * How much work am I letting myself in for? I have built a few
      small stitch-and-glue dinghies (the 8ft D4 from bateau.com)
      a few years ago, so I have some basic skills in wood butchery
      and epoxy. I certainly don't want to go for gold plate
      standard, a 10ft finish would be fine

      * Rough costings? How many sheets of ply, litres of epoxy, paint?

      * How good are the plans? To they include construction
      notes or are they mostly just the panel dimensions?

      * What would I need to pull one of these? I have an elderly
      (1984) subaru wagon. The 4WD would probably get me up the
      ramp, but it is a fairly small 4cyl engine. If I need to
      upgrade my vehicle then I need to factor that into my
      calculations
    • Stefan Probst
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 21, 2008
        Maybe too heavy?