Re: Plywood Again??? Forget Marine Ply!!!

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 5, 2008
      > To me the strength issue is not so important in composite sandwich
      > construction, it is more of a concern in boats without epoxy/glass
      > sheathing.

      Ken -
      I agree with you here. I built a Nymph over 24 years ago that is still
      going strong and on it's 3rd owner. I used 1/4" AC ply, but it was
      completed sheathed and sealed with cloth set in polyester resin.

      I was going to start on a June Bug today after finding a local lumber
      yard with stacks of 1/4" ACx, but realized I wanted to go with Okoume
      as it is 5 ply and much lighter/stronger than the 3 ply fir AC. Will
      need to drive to Somerville of Providence to pick up a load of it.

      David Jost
    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo