Pictures of tahiti? anywhere?

  • Phil S.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
      I have been searching for some pictures of the finished Tahiti, might
      anyone know where they might be posted?
      Thanks
      Phil
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
        I don't believe a Tahiti has been built.

        HJ

        Phil S. wrote:
        > I have been searching for some pictures of the finished Tahiti, might
        > anyone know where they might be posted?
        > Thanks
        > Phil

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
          There are some more photo's on the Black skimmer U'I IPO's web site
          website. Good stuff on how its rigged, beautiful boat. No way to recover
          the cost on something like this. I am sure glad that somebody could
          afford to do it.

          http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_home.html

          HJ
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
            On Jan 6, 2008 10:47 PM, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

            > I don't believe a Tahiti has been built.
            >
            > HJ

            Rather, not launched, I think.

            The W.R. O'Banion Tahiti project, photos seen in more than one MAIB
            articles, certainly has been completed enough to float.
          • Phil S.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
              I am wondering if it was never finished? Hmmm, maybe it is sitting
              incomplete in some yard. Ready for some hardy soul to buy it and
              finish her.
              Wishful thinking.
              Phil

              > On Jan 6, 2008 10:47 PM, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't believe a Tahiti has been built.
              > >
              > > HJ
              >

              > Rather, not launched, I think.
              >
              > The W.R. O'Banion Tahiti project, photos seen in more than one MAIB
              > articles, certainly has been completed enough to float.

            • jmbell1
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
                IIRC, the boat was under construction in south Florida. The last
                report was prior to 2005, when you all might remember this same are
                was raked by four hurricanes. There was some concern expressed at the
                time that the project was either lost or damaged in one or more of the
                storms. Another possibility is that the builder had more pressing
                concerns due to storm damage that caused him to indefinitely postpone
                the project.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
                  On Jan 7, 2008 7:35 PM, jmbell1 <smallboatdesigner@...> wrote:

                  > IIRC, the boat was under construction in south Florida.

                  Two years ago when we discussed this last, I did a Google search and
                  found a W. Obanion listed on Big Pine Key, and looking at the aerial
                  photos of the street address at that time I was 80% that it was the
                  Tahiti building site.

                  Today, a similar search finds no listing on Big Pine Key. Yet a W.
                  Obanion listing now pops up on the Florida panhandle, I am guessing a
                  different person, as the aerial photos (now with a high resolution not
                  available two years ago) do not show a Tahiti construction project in
                  the back yard.

                  (Indeed it is fun to search aerial photos for Bolger boats, I have
                  found some, but don't want to post my finds publicly because it is a
                  bit disrespectful of privacy.)