Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again??? Forget Marine Ply!!!

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 4, 2008
      > Hasn't the main concern about voids
      > been an issue of rot risk?

      I thought it was for a long time, but then I realized that it may simply
      be a concern about structural strength.

      To me the strength issue is not so important in composite sandwich
      construction, it is more of a concern in boats without epoxy/glass
      sheathing.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo