Re: Hey Bob Slimak!

  • Bob Slimak
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 4, 2008
      Thanks John,
      I probably will, but if Bob Hicks does like he did on the Florida
      piece it won't appear until this time next year:) I had a great
      cruise this summer in Voyageur's National Park. It is a fantastic
      cruising ground for those of you who don't know this. When I get to
      Texas maybe I will write that up for Bob to put in for a summer issue.
      Bob Slimak

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, John Bell <smallboatdesigner@...>
      wrote:

      > ...I'm really enjoying your series about cruising in FL in the last
      > couple of MAIBs. Here's hoping you'll have something to write about
      TX
      > later on.
      >
      > Bob Slimak wrote:
      > > You might try noahsmarine.com for good prices on marine ply.
      Their
      > > BS1088 Okume is about $59.00 for 6mm 5 ply. I built my Bantam
      using
      > > their Meranti BS6566 (may have the number not quite right)and it
      was
      > > excellant stuff. the 6mm 5 ply is $29.00 a sheet, $26 something
      for
      > > 10 or more. It is so pretty that it seems a shame to paint it,
      until
      > > I remember what a pain in the #*% brightword is. I prefer laying
      in
      > > the hammock while reading and drinking a stout to scraping,
      sanding
      > > and varnishing:) Unless you live near Toronto, or Niagra Falls,
      NY,
      > > it doesn't pay to have two or three sheets truck shipped. If you
      need
      > > 10 or more it does.
      > >
      > > Bob Slimak
      > >
      > > leaving the cold shores of Duluth for Padre Island, TX tomorrow.
      YEA!

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Clyde Wisner <clydewis@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> 1/4 inch ought to have 5 plys. I built my Lily with 3 ply
      because I
      > >> didn't want to take the time to return it and it was okay, but
      very
      > >> difficult to bend. Clyde

      40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > Clyde

      > > not

      > > would

      Okoume

      subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo