Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again??? Forget Marine Ply!!!

  • Hajo Smulders
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 4, 2008
      There is a lot more nothing of anything than there is stuff.
      (look at the standard model).
      If you don't understand the concern about voids try to break one on your
      knee and you'll find out.
      Plywood layered relies on its shear and compression qualities for its
      strength. Voids will dramatically weaken this (I'm not talking a little bit;
      when experimenting with fibverglals on foam years ago; depending on the
      thickness of the foam the difference in buckling strength would be 4 to 8
      times! when i created intentional voids in thicker foam to see if I could
      get away with cutting into the foam to be able to make some compaound
      curves)
      You put a void in between two layers and snap....
      This is one of the great dangers of composite construction: If you have a
      small leak in anouter layer of glass and the inner layer of wood (in a strip
      glued boat or fiberglass on ply) or foam (Some foams are affected by
      moisture) gets affected it will buckle unexpectedly.

      Not a good thing when in the southern ocean...

      Hajo

      On Jan 4, 2008 11:10 AM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

      > > certify that inner plies had no acceptable voids .....
      >
      > I never understood the concern about 'voids' in plywood.
      > Have you ever looked at wood under a microscope?
      > Wood is 90% void anyway.
      >
      > http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mauseth/weblab/webchap15wood/web15.3-2.jpg

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo