Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again??? Forget Marine Ply!!!

    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 4, 2008
      > certify that inner plies had no acceptable voids .....

      I never understood the concern about 'voids' in plywood.
      Have you ever looked at wood under a microscope?
      Wood is 90% void anyway.

      http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mauseth/weblab/webchap15wood/web15.3-2.jpg
    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo