Re: Plywood Again??? Forget Marine Ply!!!

  • c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 4, 2008
      The APA (American Plywood Association) stopped certifying
      domestic "marine" plywood in the early 90s due to inability to
      certify that inner plies had no acceptable voids .....
      didn't see anything about re-instituting the grade

      So it's imported (non-US) or exterior grade (glue used on inner
      plies) at Gougeon they always recommended a "boil test". Cut a small
      corner at pop it in a pan of boiling water for an hour or so. If it
      doesn't delaminate then you should be in good shape.

      I always got mine at Detroit Lumber excellent prices for 3/8" AC
      Exterior

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The Okoume to which you refer is not marine ply, it is cabinet
      > grade ply. My
      > > friend/salesman at Hogan Hardwoods let me in on this and refused
      > to sell it
      > > to me for a boat. Incidentally i could have gotten it for $14
      sh.,
      > no
      > > shipping.
      > >
      > > Gene Lueg
      >
      > Thanks Gene and Kenneth for shedding some good light upon this. It
      > just goes to show that there are indeed some ignorant,negligent or
      > dishonest vendors out there willing to make a quick good buck
      anyway
      > they can. Buyer beware!!
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan, hooked on MDO and loving every minute of it!

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo