Hey Bob Slimak!

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 3, 2008
      ...I'm really enjoying your series about cruising in FL in the last
      couple of MAIBs. Here's hoping you'll have something to write about TX
      later on.

      Bob Slimak wrote:
      > You might try noahsmarine.com for good prices on marine ply. Their
      > BS1088 Okume is about $59.00 for 6mm 5 ply. I built my Bantam using
      > their Meranti BS6566 (may have the number not quite right)and it was
      > excellant stuff. the 6mm 5 ply is $29.00 a sheet, $26 something for
      > 10 or more. It is so pretty that it seems a shame to paint it, until
      > I remember what a pain in the #*% brightword is. I prefer laying in
      > the hammock while reading and drinking a stout to scraping, sanding
      > and varnishing:) Unless you live near Toronto, or Niagra Falls, NY,
      > it doesn't pay to have two or three sheets truck shipped. If you need
      > 10 or more it does.
      >
      > Bob Slimak
      >
      > leaving the cold shores of Duluth for Padre Island, TX tomorrow. YEA!
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:
      >
      >> 1/4 inch ought to have 5 plys. I built my Lily with 3 ply because I
      >> didn't want to take the time to return it and it was okay, but very
      >> difficult to bend. Clyde
      >>
      >> Peter Lenihan wrote:
      >>

      >>> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
      >>>
      > Clyde

      >>> The Okoume ply I've seen(3/8") looked like nothing more then two
      >>> lovely, but very thin, outside veneers sandwiching something not
      >>> unlike soda biscuit.Easy to snap a piece over my knee and I would
      >>>
      > not
      >
      >>> want to be the guy who has to sand those surfaces too much as it
      >>>
      > would
      >
      >>> not take a lot to punch through into that odd, brittle, interior
      >>> laminate.
      >>>
      >>> But then again, what I saw may have been some really"cheap" Okoume
      >>> passing itself off as topshelf "marine" plywood.
      >>>
      >>> Peter Lenihan

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo