* * * * * MIDWEST MESSABOUT 2008 * * * * *

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      THE 19TH ANNUAL MIDWEST MESSABOUT WILL BE HELD THE WEEKEND
      OF JUNE 6, 7, & 8 2008 @ GUN CREEK CAMPGROUND @ REND LAKE IN
      SOUTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS.

      Although the focus of this event is on homemade boats,
      factory boats are always welcome as are people with
      no boats but who have an interest in homemade boats.

      This is a very loosely-organized (in other words, it's
      disorganized) event. Generally people just kind of
      hang-out and look at each other's boats and maybe
      try-out each other's boats and talk about each other's
      boats and so on and so forth.

      Although most people camp in the campgound (reservations
      can be made here ;)

      http://www.recreation.gov/welcome.do?topTabIndex=Home

      ...a few people stay at some nearby rental condos (very nice
      and right next to the campground- in fact you drive right
      by the condos to get into the campground)

      http://www.rendlake.org/lodging-dining/luxurylodge.shtml

      People usually start arriving Friday around mid-day, and
      people are usually packing-up and leaving Sunday by noon,
      so Saturday is the big day. If you show up at noon on
      Sunday most people will be gone by then.

      Although there are some camp spots right on the water,
      if you can not get a spot on the water or are staying
      at the condos, you can usually leave your boat at one
      of the waterfront spots. I have reserved spots #48 and
      #56, and I believe Wisconsin Rob has probably reserved #55

      If you would rather sleep on your boat, you can dispense
      with the camp spot/condo and leave your trailer and
      vehicle at the launch ramp parking lot. I believe that
      the ramp fee is $3.00/ day and I have done this in the
      past. By the way, if you pay the $14.00/ night for a
      campspot, use of the ramp is included at no extra charge.

      The ramp parking lot is well lighted and located between
      a golf course and the campground

      WARNING WARNING There is usually a bass tournement
      on Sat. morning at the ramp so it is a noisy place
      from 4:00 to 6:00 am Sat.

      You are on your own as far as meals go, with the following
      exceptions: It is customary for some of us to breakfast
      Saturday and Sunday mornings at a greasy spoon
      about 2 miles from the campground. There is a gas
      station/convenience store right there also,
      and is a good place to pick-up ice or whatever.

      And there is a group supper on Saturday evening. If you
      wish to bring food or donate money for the supper you
      are welcome to but not required to. This is how the
      Sat. group supper works: in the late afternoon we will
      get a head count of how many people want to eat my cooking
      vs. the number of people who are smarter. We will then
      inventory such food that anyone might have brought. Then,
      a couple of us will make a trip into Super Walmart to
      pick up everything else we need for the supper, which usually
      consists of burgers, hotdogs, chips, chile and/or beans, etc.

      I will take care of the dessert.

      By the way, we used to shop at Big Johns Grocery but
      Big John shut down when Walmart opened.

      That is pretty much it. Although I think you can still
      get a campspot even if you show up with no reservations,
      things have been getting more and more crowded each year.

      It is also sometimes possible to find someone willing to
      share their campspot with a fellow boater- sometimes such
      arrangements are made on this board here:

      Here is a write-up on last year's event:

      http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun07.htm

      All are welcome: homemade boat, factory boat, no boat.

      Max