Re: Plywood Again???

  • Gronicle
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 3, 2008
      I followed the link to Anderson in Anaheim, CA and thought the marine
      plywood they were selling didn't sound unreasonably priced. Does anyone
      know of a comparable source of supply for plywood located close to Savannah,
      GA? The thought of freighting charges on a boatload of plywood from the
      Left Coast gives me the tizzies.

      By the way, how does the cheaper Meranti compare to the Okumi marine
      plywood? Are there significant differences in workability, use in boats?

      My limited experience in building small boats supports Tim Anderson's
      comments. I built one Bolger canoe years ago in Germany using HL market
      plywood (?). At least I thought it was plywood. It lasted all of one
      summers use on the Main and Lahn rivers, the best part of three weeks in
      July before it delam'ed on me. For the time invested I should have bought
      a German dictionary when I went shopping for the plywood, etc., instead of
      using my street Italian on the Turkish guys who helped me find the wood.

      Spater, SSK

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo