DAY :ashes in new year, Chinese yet soon too? I'll be blowed: drink?

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
      from some coot lurker; ( where i got it from, an go the coOts/ yeh.
      an I no you are too) ( might still be a winjammer here to thr some
      day soone as oil today over 100$ a barrel record a nd thats metric
      here for oiIL about the same as a barrel of XXXX now)

      What and where doo I remember that bolger hapyy new year considwers
      thomas day?? weLL there''s SEA Bird eighty6 and ther666s uthers, but
      here: tyhanks to COOTS: we got sum origunal stuff for Bolgerados:

      I truly have to to say I maen sincere real apolopgees for some of
      the comntent early into ut and it could so eesily be fighting
      words for lots because it does mnake me pay careful attention, but
      breathee in a bit, an lots wont get that feeling anyway but here's
      been lots, but that was probly just a man (((DAY) (middddlrc;ass
      anglo whote did I say anglo anfd middle classs. and in his toimes
      erly 1900"s n not PC tuday: good stuff as Harry wood say: and good on
      th coots too: tell you bout harry anotther chineese ok: read this
      bolgrities - breathe in , and read theh meaning of the DAY: the mesg
      of the Day - I could eezilly go there - think Bolger an out boards an
      adventure an getting rid oif STUFF an doin it an just bre4athin thr
      salt :

      o.

      Oh

      mr Bolger was goin on about so much more but nevertha less it ewas
      there an i felt it but the again t I h also read Reueel Parker an he
      kinda hints about DAY ---- oooo ===== nonpareil--- (( what then is
      bloody pariel? ) == Mowe,r huntington, not what you mow with, and
      still tjere is respect that comes through DAY from Bolger here ansd
      there and Parker who said Bolger know a Sharpie etc etc anf othersd
      who know a parker etc.

      Respect as it posses and passes and passes yey again and again and
      again each year and drink it down up still up we go and then down it
      and up etcetera as:::

      "You and I at the end of it will get no more than he will six feet
      of mother earth. To the devil with your fifty years of dress shirt
      existence, trousers with pockets, and houses with doors, and all
      the rest of the paraphernalia that goes to make up civilization.
      When are we happiest? The Look in your hands.... Is what you
      have succeeded in grasping worth any more than a fistful of yon
      gray ash in whos crumbling heap the last sparks are flickering and
      passing away?"

      T. F. Day, editor of The Rudder, 1911

      was thi sthe 1900's? Boats, or then fashionable Theosophy? Or is it
      allways boats anyway?!

      must of been drinkin XXXX too i would say. not really a depressif
      just matter of fact to the ordinary ""man", but maybe thats how he
      was and yhat resonated wih boLger?? Matter of fact it is in fsct

      cheers
      grme

      an also ps S, if youse want to smell som of that salt taste, heres
      WINJAMMMMERS, the last commercial last fleet, 30000tons plus under
      sail afteer ww 1 and ww2, yeh way to go an eighteen story high masts
      an oral historyof those guys that sailed em, an whats' it ilke about
      the horn pregnant women sail type boats and all, an if I only could
      lift this table with my TEETH the drinks ud be all mine, b ut a sit
      is i'm hanging off the wall horizontal by them same teeth right now
      if you belive it, horizuntal", cause of anothe rbet, but then tht's
      life in ant year I guess, an the typin is harder: it's lusten up
      here, in the back ground but i'd bet youo mostly listne closey, happy
      new years all: (moNTY Python got it rong about FINLAND I'd reckn
      course these ships need balls and more as well as wind up rm an a
      beautiful pregnancy

      )

      The Cape Horners (radio)

      http://www.abc.net.au/rn/hindsight/stories/2007/2111656.htm

      houses with doors, and mugs with handles, and mugs with boats and
      mugs and boats, happy new year, and here's to pockets a hundred years
      on, and on.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008

> [...]
        sit
        > is i'm hanging off the wall horizontal by them same teeth right
        now
        > if you belive it, horizuntal", cause of anothe rbet, but then
        tht's
        > life in ant year I guess, an the typin is harder: it's lusten up
        > here, in the back ground but i'd bet youo mostly listne closey,
        happy
        > new years all: (moNTY Python got it rong about FINLAND I'd reckn
        > course these ships need balls and more as well as wind up rm an a
        > beautiful pregnancy
        >
        > )
        >
        > The Cape Horners (radio)
        >
        > http://www.abc.net.au/rn/hindsight/stories/2007/2111656.htm
        >
        > houses with doors, and mugs with handles, and mugs with boats and
        > mugs and boats, happy new year, and here's to pockets a hundred

        There are times,though not all that frequent, when I sincerely wish
        I had a better understanding of the English language.And then there
        are times, such as with this piece of work, when I doubt a better
        understanding would really help all that much........perhaps it is
        not too early for a drink afterall!!! :-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan

      • Hajo Smulders
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          I at first thought this was one of those surreal spam messages (Which I find
          fascinating by themselves). But then glancing over it I read about the
          bolgerados etc... Even then at first I thought spam was getting smarter;
          picking up sentences from previous forum postings and reusing those. I had
          been suspecting spambots to start doing this; but this would've been thge
          first one I encountered. Usually I get shakespeare or Moby Dick... (You have
          to forgive me; I'm a programmer for a major website (We did more than a
          billion hits last year) and this stuff attracts my professional interest.)
          When I did discover that there was a human being behind this (Congrats mate;
          you passed a reverse Turing test) I was stunned and very happy at the same
          time. Mr. (or Mrs; but I expect Mr.) graeme19121984: Happy new year to you!
          I am happy to find people that have totally different ways of thinking than
          I do and that makes this world a fascinating and wonderfull place. If I ever
          run into you your first drink is on me.

          Hajo

          > There are times,though not all that frequent, when I sincerely wish
          > I had a better understanding of the English language.And then there
          > are times, such as with this piece of work, when I doubt a better
          > understanding would really help all that much........perhaps it is
          > not too early for a drink afterall!!! :-D
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
            > > mr Bolger was goin on about so much more but nevertha less it
            ewas
            > > there an i felt it but the again t I h also read Reueel Parker an
            > he
            > > kinda hints about DAY ---- oooo ===== nonpareil--- (( what then
            is
            > > bloody pariel? ) == Mowe,r huntington, not what you mow with,
            > and
            > > still tjere is respect that comes through DAY from Bolger here
            > ansd
            > > there and Parker who said Bolger know a Sharpie etc etc anf
            > othersd
            > > who know a parker etc.
            > >
            > > Respect as it posses and passes and passes yey again and again
            and
            > > again each year and drink it down up still up we go and then
            down
            > it
            > > and up etcetera as:::
            > >
            > > "You and I at the end of it will get no more than he will six
            > feet
            > > of mother earth. To the devil with your fifty years of dress
            > shirt
            > > existence, trousers with pockets, and houses with doors, and
            all
            > > the rest of the paraphernalia that goes to make up
            civilization.
            > > When are we happiest? The Look in your hands.... Is what you
            > > have succeeded in grasping worth any more than a fistful of
            yon
            > > gray ash in whos crumbling heap the last sparks are flickering
            > and
            > > passing away?"
            > >
            > > T. F. Day, editor of The Rudder, 1911

            > > was thi sthe 1900's? Boats, or then fashionable Theosophy? Or is
            > it
            > > allways boats anyway?!

            This is evidence that the spirit of John Cage lives on in the
            computer programming world. I get messages in my email that resemble
            the sentence structure seen above, but they are usually asking me to
            help hide money for some prince in Africa, or enlarging body parts
            through modern medicine.

            I for one, would rather build a boat. June Bug perhaps. 18lbs a
            sheet for Oukume. It should come our around the 100 lbs. Bolger was
            aiming for and will take the place of: 16' canoe, 13' Enterprise, and
            my beloved Pointy Skiff.

            David Jost
          • John Kohnen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
              Graeme, in his enthusiasm, got himself all stumbled and jumbled up
              somehow. ;o) This bit of Thomas Fleming Day's editorial jotting from an
              old Rudder magazine that I posted over on the Messabout group evidentally
              sent poor Graeme into an incoherent ecstasy. <g>

              "The fire is well burned down, the end of the last log is sticking out of
              the gray ash, smoking and smoldering like an old love affair, and there is
              no more fuel in the locker. Let her go out, say I, for I'm sick of this
              armchair life and want to get outdoors, where a man don't have to breathe
              the same air twice over in order to get a good full of oxygen. I'm tired,
              boys; tired as a dog that has hunted rabbits all day. The only difference
              the dog runs his quarry to earth, while mine take to the water. I was just
              thinking when you joined me, what's the use of all this this living, this
              working, this worrying, this fretting and fussing? Isn't the negro who
              sits in the shade of the plantain, content that he has a shirt to his back
              and a meal in his belly, the more sensible fellow? You and I at the end of
              it will get no more than he will six feet of mother earth. To the devil
              with your fifty years of dress shirt existence, trousers with pockets, and
              houses with doors, and all the rest of the paraphernalia that goes to make
              up civilization. When are we happiest? The day we throw this all off, and,
              clad in our worst, play savage on some lonely shore, dragging a meal out
              of the water as our ancestors did before some misguided idiots invented
              money, markets, and manners. To-day I have a thousand-fold the knowledge
              possessed by the most learned and brilliant of the ancients, but am I any
              happier? Not a bit. You and I are being dragged at the wheels of the thing
              we call Progress, and those who ride, cry out to join in a song of
              triumph. For what? Look in your hands. Is what you have succeeded in
              grasping worth any more than a fistful of yon gray ash in whose crumbling

              On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:31:32 -0800, Peter L wrote:
              > There are times,though not all that frequent, when I sincerely wish
              > I had a better understanding of the English language.And then there
              > are times, such as with this piece of work, when I doubt a better
              > understanding would really help all that much........perhaps it is
              > not too early for a drink afterall!!! :-D
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, graeme wrote:
              >
              >> from some coot lurker; ( where i got it from, an go the coOts/
              >> yeh.

              John <jkohnen@...>
              The world is a skirt I want to lift up. <Hanif Kureishi>
            • SaIL Again Resources
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
                Had a good friend that lived in the dunes of Truro back in the 60's that waxed profound in the same manner as Mr. Day. Sure miss that man and his wonderful wisdom.

                John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...> wrote: Graeme, in his enthusiasm, got himself all stumbled and jumbled up
                somehow. ;o) This bit of Thomas Fleming Day's editorial jotting from an
                old Rudder magazine that I posted over on the Messabout group evidentally
                sent poor Graeme into an incoherent ecstasy.

                "The fire is well burned down, the end of the last log is sticking out of
                the gray ash, smoking and smoldering like an old love affair, and there is
                no more fuel in the locker. Let her go out, say I, for I'm sick of this
                armchair life and want to get outdoors, where a man don't have to breathe
                the same air twice over in order to get a good full of oxygen. I'm tired,
                boys; tired as a dog that has hunted rabbits all day. The only difference
                the dog runs his quarry to earth, while mine take to the water. I was just
                thinking when you joined me, what's the use of all this this living, this
                working, this worrying, this fretting and fussing? Isn't the negro who
                sits in the shade of the plantain, content that he has a shirt to his back
                and a meal in his belly, the more sensible fellow? You and I at the end of
                it will get no more than he will six feet of mother earth. To the devil
                with your fifty years of dress shirt existence, trousers with pockets, and
                houses with doors, and all the rest of the paraphernalia that goes to make
                up civilization. When are we happiest? The day we throw this all off, and,
                clad in our worst, play savage on some lonely shore, dragging a meal out
                of the water as our ancestors did before some misguided idiots invented
                money, markets, and manners. To-day I have a thousand-fold the knowledge
                possessed by the most learned and brilliant of the ancients, but am I any
                happier? Not a bit. You and I are being dragged at the wheels of the thing
                we call Progress, and those who ride, cry out to join in a song of
                triumph. For what? Look in your hands. Is what you have succeeded in
                grasping worth any more than a fistful of yon gray ash in whose crumbling
                heap the last sparks are flickering and passing away?"

                T. F. Day, editor of The Rudder, 1911
                On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:31:32 -0800, Peter L wrote:
                > There are times,though not all that frequent, when I sincerely wish
                > I had a better understanding of the English language.And then there
                > are times, such as with this piece of work, when I doubt a better
                > understanding would really help all that much........perhaps it is
                > not too early for a drink afterall!!! :-D
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, graeme wrote:
                >
                >> from some coot lurker; ( where i got it from, an go the coOts/
                >> yeh.

                John
                The world is a skirt I want to lift up.

                Bolger rules!!!