Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again???

  • Gene Lueg
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 2, 2008
      The Okoume to which you refer is not marine ply, it is cabinet grade ply. My
      friend/salesman at Hogan Hardwoods let me in on this and refused to sell it
      to me for a boat. Incidentally i could have gotten it for $14 sh., no
      shipping.

      Gene Lueg

      On Jan 2, 2008 7:28 PM, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > > The Okoume ply I've seen(3/8") looked like nothing more then two
      > > lovely, but very thin, outside veneers sandwiching something not
      > > unlike soda biscuit.Easy to snap a piece over my knee and I would
      > > not want to be the guy who has to sand those surfaces too much as it
      > > would not take a lot to punch through into that odd, brittle,
      > > interior laminate.
      >

      > This sounds like the cheap Okoume plywood I mentioned here (or in
      > another boating group) the other day which is being made in volume in
      > China, then imported at low prices to the USA. It is made with two
      > paper-thin face plies of Okoume, and the core ply is cheap Poplar --
      > which is neither a strong nor a durable boat building material.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > horses
      > (978) 282-1349
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo