Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again???

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 2, 2008
      > The Okoume ply I've seen(3/8") looked like nothing more then two
      > lovely, but very thin, outside veneers sandwiching something not
      > unlike soda biscuit.Easy to snap a piece over my knee and I would
      > not want to be the guy who has to sand those surfaces too much as it
      > would not take a lot to punch through into that odd, brittle,
      > interior laminate.

      This sounds like the cheap Okoume plywood I mentioned here (or in
      another boating group) the other day which is being made in volume in
      China, then imported at low prices to the USA. It is made with two
      paper-thin face plies of Okoume, and the core ply is cheap Poplar --
      which is neither a strong nor a durable boat building material.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo