Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again???

  • Clyde Wisner
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 2, 2008
      1/4 inch ought to have 5 plys. I built my Lily with 3 ply because I
      didn't want to take the time to return it and it was okay, but very
      difficult to bend. Clyde

      Peter Lenihan wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>, Clyde
      > Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Pricing I've gotten for "signal MDO" is higher than Okoume ply.
      >
      > The Okoume ply I've seen(3/8") looked like nothing more then two
      > lovely, but very thin, outside veneers sandwiching something not
      > unlike soda biscuit.Easy to snap a piece over my knee and I would not
      > want to be the guy who has to sand those surfaces too much as it would
      > not take a lot to punch through into that odd, brittle, interior
      > laminate.
      >
      > But then again, what I saw may have been some really"cheap" Okoume
      > passing itself off as topshelf "marine" plywood.
      >
      > Peter Lenihan

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo