Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood Again???

  • Clyde Wisner
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 2, 2008
      Pricing I've gotten for "signal MDO" is higher than Okoume ply. I'm sure
      it's very good but regular MDO is where the savings is. There may be
      voids to fill and it is heavy but I've had some outside for a year and
      nothing is apparent. I sided my boat shed 3/8,10ft sheets but didn't get
      around to painting, and it makes a not unattractive building with green
      ondura roof. Clyde PS I think I mentioned earlier, that 8ft long, 10 ft
      high wall sections are all I and a friend wanted to lift to stand up.

      Peter Lenihan wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "mike" <mikearedmond@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everybody an a happy New Year thrown in there also,,,Must be the
      > > Scrooge in me, taking over my boat building urges...been chequing
      > some
      > > posts on the internet concerning Ultraply,,some kind of supposed to
      > be
      > > good quality underlay plywood.(Still have to find out if it is
      > > available in Canada ei specifically Edmonton area).Has anyone built
      > > boat with this stuff amonsght all of you fellows,ei;also awfull
      > curious
      > > about MDO...Mike
      >
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Cannot speak to your Ultraply query but can probably go on for ages
      > about MDO :-)
      > I have used it in the past for a MICRO I built(see files section in
      > the MICRO folder; Lenihan's MICRO) and continued using it during the
      > build of my Bolger WINDERMERE esturary cruiser.The best stuff I have
      > found is from Olympic ply,ex-Simpsonply, called SIGNAL MDO. Absolutely
      > great stuff,virtually no voids,waterproof glue between the laminates
      > and takes a finish like magic and much cheaper then marine ply. I am
      > sure if you drill around this group, via the search function, you'll
      > come up with lots of recommendations/discussions about the virtues of
      > MDO. Just be certain you are getting top quality MDO and stuff that
      > looks like it was wrapped in Kraft paper :-)
      > What are you looking to build with MDO?
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan, a not too unbiased person regarding MDO, from along the
      > snow covered,swept and frozen shores of the St.Lawrence...........

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo