Re: [bolger] Plywood Again???

  • David C.
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Mike -

      IF you search "UltraPly," you'll find a couple of threads in the various yahoogroups.

      A couple of folks on the Michalak Yahoo group (they're probably on this group, too) have built with UltraPly and have reported good results/longevity.

      I'm currently building Michalak's AF3 with the stuff. It's very pleasant to work with -- cuts nice, no voids, almost no sanding required for finishing. It passed the "throw some pieces in the dishwasher for a week and see what happens" test. Some people have expressed concerns about the video at the product's web site where a flooring installer scores a sheet with a utility knife and snaps the piece right along the score line. The guy in the video must be mighty strong, because I have been unable to replicate this. After repeated scoring with as much pressure as I could muster, I was able to bend the sheet through 2 plies, but the bottom ply splintered. I got essentially the same results with a regular lumberyard sheet of 1/4 inch ply.

      You can check out my AF3 project at http://webpages.charter.net/cassidy1

      David C

      ---- mike <mikearedmond@...> wrote:
      > Hi everybody an a happy New Year thrown in there also,,,Must be the
      > Scrooge in me, taking over my boat building urges...been chequing some
      > posts on the internet concerning Ultraply,,some kind of supposed to be
      > good quality underlay plywood.(Still have to find out if it is
      > available in Canada ei specifically Edmonton area).Has anyone built a
      > boat with this stuff amonsght all of you fellows,ei;also awfull curious
      > about MDO...Mike

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo