Re: Plywood Again???

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mikearedmond@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody an a happy New Year thrown in there also,,,Must be the
      > Scrooge in me, taking over my boat building urges...been chequing
      some
      > posts on the internet concerning Ultraply,,some kind of supposed to
      be
      > good quality underlay plywood.(Still have to find out if it is
      > available in Canada ei specifically Edmonton area).Has anyone built
      > boat with this stuff amonsght all of you fellows,ei;also awfull
      curious
      > about MDO...Mike

      Hi Mike,

      Cannot speak to your Ultraply query but can probably go on for ages
      about MDO :-)
      I have used it in the past for a MICRO I built(see files section in
      the MICRO folder; Lenihan's MICRO) and continued using it during the
      build of my Bolger WINDERMERE esturary cruiser.The best stuff I have
      found is from Olympic ply,ex-Simpsonply, called SIGNAL MDO. Absolutely
      great stuff,virtually no voids,waterproof glue between the laminates
      and takes a finish like magic and much cheaper then marine ply. I am
      sure if you drill around this group, via the search function, you'll
      come up with lots of recommendations/discussions about the virtues of
      MDO. Just be certain you are getting top quality MDO and stuff that
      looks like it was wrapped in Kraft paper :-)
      What are you looking to build with MDO?

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan, a not too unbiased person regarding MDO, from along the
      snow covered,swept and frozen shores of the St.Lawrence...........

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 9, 2008
        That's exactly what I did. I don't know how thick their skins are; but If I
        were in a position to order a boat build that way I'd insist on a filling of
        the slots at leats with more foam.
        I really don't claim or want to argue my point beyond the fact that I looked
        at it in a very amateurish way; but decided I didn't trust this method; or
        voids and gaps between skin sheets in a composite.
        Now no matter how wrong I might be; I'm never going to be particular happy
        in a boat that has this issue; so I avoid it.

        Hajo