Bolger Black Snake or Blacksnake

  • johnh94927
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
      Working from memory... Black Snake was a non-plywood boat, very
      traditional, very whitehall-like, very beautiful. i think it was in an
      article or a book, but can't recall when/where. bolger had it built in
      europe and shipped it home i think. if anyone has knowledge of it
      please let me know. i'm almost ready to take on a whitehall
      construction project.
      thanks,
      john
    • Hugo Tyson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
        No,

        Black Snake was a Sharpie design featured in an early 1950's Rudder magazine.

        "Spur"..... the original Spur was built in Mallorca when Bolger lived there for about a year doing design work. She was heavily built, with sawn frames as is the tradition of Mediterranean boatbuilders. She looked beautiful but was rather heavy. She's pictured on the cover of Bolger's "Small Boats" book. Very whitehall like indeed.

        johnh94927 <johnh94927@...> wrote:
        Working from memory... Black Snake was a non-plywood boat, very
        traditional, very whitehall-like, very beautiful. i think it was in an
        article or a book, but can't recall when/where. bolger had it built in
        europe and shipped it home i think. if anyone has knowledge of it
        please let me know. i'm almost ready to take on a whitehall
        construction project.
        thanks,
        john

      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          To continue another step, since Spur was heavy, Boger designed a
          lighter boat of the same general type called Victoria which he thought
          would be better for general use. If you asked Boger for the plans of
          Spur, I think he would suggest either Victoria or Spur II, depending
          on your preference in construction, but there are numerous other good
          choices in his design list.