Re: Tiny, water-ballasted boats

  • donschultz8275
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bklnbrick" <rickspiano@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a Brick Flying Cloud on the water, and does it
      use water or metal
      > ballast? I'm interested in really small boats using water ballast.
      What is the smallest such
      > Bolger design? I would include free-flooding deadwood or cutwater,
      rudders and other such
      > details as pertinent to my inquiry. I suppose a longer boat would
      make better use of the
      > enhanced sail-carrying capacity, but corky little rowing dories
      might do well with a small pot
      > of water underneath as well, right? There would be trim
      possibilities...

      I read from a scan of an issue of MAIB (I think??) that at least one
      Flying Cloud was built. Here is what I remember. It was a Brick iwth
      a pointed at both ends Microtrawler kinda keel. It was designed and
      built only to prove the concept of a box keel. Although the boat was
      built heavy, it was necessary to flood portions of the keel to get the
      boat down on its lines. This made more sense than other ballast
      because the boat was already very very heavy.

      I believe one result of the design's success was the concept cartoon
      called SMS, for Small Motor Sailer. SMS was a 22' durable coastal
      cruiser intended to use power and sail full time. Had a small diesel
      for power.

      Hope this helps, and someone knows where the scan resides.