Tiny, water-ballasted boats

  • bklnbrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2007
      Does anyone know of a Brick Flying Cloud on the water, and does it use water or metal
      ballast? I'm interested in really small boats using water ballast. What is the smallest such
      Bolger design? I would include free-flooding deadwood or cutwater, rudders and other such
      details as pertinent to my inquiry. I suppose a longer boat would make better use of the
      enhanced sail-carrying capacity, but corky little rowing dories might do well with a small pot
      of water underneath as well, right? There would be trim possibilities...
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
        Tiny boats are already heavily ballasted by crew weight (and in most tiny boats, the crew weight exceeds the weight of the boat). Therefore, I would suggest that most tiny boats are already heavily ballasted (at least with crew on board) and that there is no need for additional ballast--water or otherwise.If you are sailing a tiny boat and you want to change the trim, slide your butt in the desired direction until the trim suits you.

        JohnT

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
          Do any exist? The designer had mentioned that someone was thinking of building a few at
          one time.
        • donschultz8275
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bklnbrick" <rickspiano@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know of a Brick Flying Cloud on the water, and does it
            use water or metal
            > ballast? I'm interested in really small boats using water ballast.
            What is the smallest such
            > Bolger design? I would include free-flooding deadwood or cutwater,
            rudders and other such
            > details as pertinent to my inquiry. I suppose a longer boat would
            make better use of the
            > enhanced sail-carrying capacity, but corky little rowing dories
            might do well with a small pot
            > of water underneath as well, right? There would be trim
            possibilities...

            I read from a scan of an issue of MAIB (I think??) that at least one
            Flying Cloud was built. Here is what I remember. It was a Brick iwth
            a pointed at both ends Microtrawler kinda keel. It was designed and
            built only to prove the concept of a box keel. Although the boat was
            built heavy, it was necessary to flood portions of the keel to get the
            boat down on its lines. This made more sense than other ballast
            because the boat was already very very heavy.

            I believe one result of the design's success was the concept cartoon
            called SMS, for Small Motor Sailer. SMS was a 22' durable coastal
            cruiser intended to use power and sail full time. Had a small diesel
            for power.

            Hope this helps, and someone knows where the scan resides.