Brick

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2000
      Yes, it's true, we bought Matthew Long's Brick, Tetard.

      After all the horror stories I've heard, I'm kind of surprised that
      this boat which has been outside for two years has no plywood
      checking. If I recall it's luan with latex paint from Ace Hardware,
      but the paint looks great.

      There are a couple of spots to fix where polyester resin is letting
      go, but these were pointed out to me before the sale. I would
      hesitate
      to use polyester on any boat that would be kept outside.

      The boat is lighter than I anticipated, seems very easy for two
      people
      to handle, and not impossible for one, with a little thought.

      Anyway, Matthew did a good job, and it's very cute. We anticipate a
      lot of fun with it, but
      won't have a chance to use it for a couple of weeks.

      For you entomologists, cartopping a Brick is a great way to collect
      bugs.
    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2000
        On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Lincoln Ross wrote:
        > After all the horror stories I've heard, I'm kind of surprised that
        > this boat which has been outside for two years has no plywood
        > checking. If I recall it's luan with latex paint from Ace Hardware,
        > but the paint looks great.

        The paint is key. Lauan does not check like douglas fir--checking comes
        from swelling and shrinking due to moisture cycling. It happens far more
        in wood that has different density in earlywood/latewood, and douglas fir
        is the king of that. So DF plywood is the check-monster. Lauan ain't so
        bad. frankly.

        > There are a couple of spots to fix where polyester resin is letting
        > go, but these were pointed out to me before the sale. I would
        > hesitate
        > to use polyester on any boat that would be kept outside.
        >
        > The boat is lighter than I anticipated, seems very easy for two
        > people
        > to handle, and not impossible for one, with a little thought.
        >
        > Anyway, Matthew did a good job, and it's very cute. We anticipate a
        > lot of fun with it, but
        > won't have a chance to use it for a couple of weeks.
        >
        > For you entomologists, cartopping a Brick is a great way to collect
        > bugs.

        > CLICK HERE AND START SAVING ON LONG DISTANCE BILLS TODAY!

        > - no cursing
        > - stay on topic
        > - use punctuation

        Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
        Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
        I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2000
          That's interesting. However, I've had a luan boat before that checked
          all over the place. Finish was spar varnish. I put on 3 coats after I
          got it and still got more checks. Maybe there's different sorts of
          luan, or maybe you get a few years free before it flakes out?

          --- In bolger@egroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@u...> wrote:
          snip
          > The paint is key. Lauan does not check like douglas fir--checking
          comes
          > from swelling and shrinking due to moisture cycling. It happens
          far
          more
          > in wood that has different density in earlywood/latewood, and
          douglas fir
          > is the king of that. So DF plywood is the check-monster. Lauan
          ain't so
          > bad. frankly.
          >

          > > There are a couple of spots to fix where polyester resin is
          letting
          > > go, but these were pointed out to me before the sale. I would
          > > hesitate
          > > to use polyester on any boat that would be kept outside.
          > >
          > > The boat is lighter than I anticipated, seems very easy for two
          > > people
          > > to handle, and not impossible for one, with a little thought.
          > >
          > > Anyway, Matthew did a good job, and it's very cute. We
          anticipate
          > > lot of fun with it, but
          > > won't have a chance to use it for a couple of weeks.
          > >
          > > For you entomologists, cartopping a Brick is a great way to
          collect
          > > bugs.

          > > CLICK HERE AND START SAVING ON LONG DISTANCE BILLS TODAY!

          > > Bolger rules!!!
          > > - no cursing
          > > - stay on topic
          > > - use punctuation
          > > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
          > > - add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
          > >

          > Chris Crandall crandall@u... (785) 864-4131
          > Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS
          66045
          > I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
        • Harry W. James
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2000
            How about Linseed oil on Doug Fir plywood? I read somewhere that
            it pretty well stops it checking. The one disadvantage is that it
            commits you to Oil base paints instead of Latex. I have no
            experience of this myself, other than real good experience with
            Linseed oil in other uses. Any body out there try it on plywood.

            HJ

            --

            _ _ _ _ _
            % Harry welshman@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 29, 2002
              On the Payson Brick. You did about what I did. Payson's plans are for a Big Tortoise, Brick. It's a Stretch Tortoise and includes the enlargement and nothing more. Actually, the dimensions are somewhat different than the Brick. I think the Brick itself can be obtained from Bolger, or else just get a copy of Boats With an Open Mind and enlarge the Brick plans for easy use. I'm building the Big Tortoise, but I considered the original Brick and decided the stretch tortoise would be fun. You are right -the plans don't have the rig or leeboard. Charles
            • james_stytle
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 29, 2002
                I got design #597. I appears to have been designed for Montgomery
                Boat Yard. The dimesions are 8'0" x 3'2". Will the sailing rig
                dimensions from the Bolger Brick work? I hate to think that I just
                bought these plans and now need to buy another set.

                James Stytle

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 29, 2002
                  As I see it, since the Big Tortoise is not actually the same boat as
                  the Brick the placement of the rig, the mast and leeboard would have
                  to be changed from the Brick to account for the different dimensions.
                  Actually I Emailed Payson and asked about the sail, he said he
                  thought the lamb chop sail designed for the Brick would be O.K. on
                  the Big Tortoise. In other words the size, 59 sq. Ft. isn't it, is
                  O.K, but the placement on the boat would be different than the brick.
                  The area of the leeboard and rudder are probably about correct. If
                  you're not comfortable placing them yourself and you want to sail,
                  (I'm making mine for rowing and then I'll decide if I want to add a
                  rig) then it sounds like you need Brick plans. Do you have Bolger's
                  "Boats With an Open Mind"? Brick plans are in there. I understand
                  your frustration. I just kind of like the idea of making the Big
                  Tortoise. Actually it's practice for making a Micro. Charles

                  > I got design #597. I appears to have been designed for Montgomery
                  > Boat Yard. The dimesions are 8'0" x 3'2". Will the sailing rig
                  > dimensions from the Bolger Brick work? I hate to think that I just
                  > bought these plans and now need to buy another set.
                  >
                  > James Stytle

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
                    Dreams are true.

                    Frank Bales wrote:

                    > I thought someone mention not long ago a larger version of the Brick? Not
                    > the Super version with the cabin and all, just a larger version of the
                    > Brick. I looked but couldn't find the post. Was I dreaming, or does such a
                    > beast exist?
                  • Frank Bales
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
                      Thanks Mark. What's different with this version? It's not any longer is
                      it? --FrankB