RE; PINE PLYWOOD

  • mike
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 8, 2007
      Hi got a question conserning wood here.This morning while I was doing
      my usual tour of my local Home Depot I came accros PINE plywood...I had
      never seen the stuff before.. saw lots of fir ply and spruce ply but I
      had never came accros pine plywood the stuff looked pretty good just a
      few knots and a couple of footballs in there, on the the ply it said
      exterior or waterproof something along these lines,and that stuff felt
      particularly light compared to the fir ply Ive worked with before...
      has anyone ever come accros this stuff and could you give me any info
      on it ..thanks Mike
    • David
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 8, 2007
        Mike - It's very much a case of "the devil's in the details". Some
        pines would make a very good veneer for marine or exterior plywood.
        Some are about as rot-resistant as birch (not much). I've never had
        any luck tracking down exact information from HD. Their attitude -
        clear up through the store manager - has leaned heavily on the "here
        it is, look it over & buy it or don't" approach. Even when I've gotten
        someone to agree to check out some specifics and call me back... the
        call never comes.

        To hammer a final nail in the coffin of your hopes, the fact that the
        sheets are lighter than the fir you're used to is not a good sign.
        Most of the pines that would be good for your purpose (building a
        boat, or outdoor/marine structure, I assume) are about as dense as
        fir. The rot-prone pines tend to be less dense.

        But wait, there's a glimmer of hope for those looking for inexpensive
        plywood. Have you checked out MDO?

        Cheers,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR

        "Nothing is as simple as we hope it will be" -- Jim Horning

        ****************

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mikearedmond@...> wrote:

        > Hi got a question conserning wood here.This morning while I was doing
        > my usual tour of my local Home Depot I came accros PINE plywood...I had
        > never seen the stuff before.. saw lots of fir ply and spruce ply but I
        > had never came accros pine plywood the stuff looked pretty good just a
        > few knots and a couple of footballs in there, on the the ply it said
        > exterior or waterproof something along these lines,and that stuff felt
        > particularly light compared to the fir ply Ive worked with before...
        > has anyone ever come accros this stuff and could you give me any info
        > on it ..thanks Mike
      • mike
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

          > Mike - It's very much a case of "the devil's in the details". Some
          > pines would make a very good veneer for marine or exterior plywood.
          > Some are about as rot-resistant as birch (not much). I've never had
          > any luck tracking down exact information from HD. Their attitude -
          > clear up through the store manager - has leaned heavily on the "here
          > it is, look it over & buy it or don't" approach. Even when I've
          gotten
          > someone to agree to check out some specifics and call me back... the
          > call never comes.
          >
          > To hammer a final nail in the coffin of your hopes, the fact that
          the
          > sheets are lighter than the fir you're used to is not a good sign.
          > Most of the pines that would be good for your purpose (building a
          > boat, or outdoor/marine structure, I assume) are about as dense as
          > fir. The rot-prone pines tend to be less dense.
          >
          > But wait, there's a glimmer of hope for those looking for
          inexpensive
          > plywood. Have you checked out MDO?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > David Graybeal
          > Portland, OR
          >
          > "Nothing is as simple as we hope it will be" -- Jim Horning
          >
          > ****************
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mikearedmond@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi got a question conserning wood here.This morning while I was
          doing
          > > my usual tour of my local Home Depot I came accros PINE
          plywood...I had
          > > never seen the stuff before.. saw lots of fir ply and spruce ply
          but I
          > > had never came accros pine plywood the stuff looked pretty good
          just a
          > > few knots and a couple of footballs in there, on the the ply it
          said
          > > exterior or waterproof something along these lines,and that stuff
          felt
          > > particularly light compared to the fir ply Ive worked with
          before...
          > > has anyone ever come accros this stuff and could you give me any
          info
          > > on it ..thanks Mike

          Well I guess it pretty much sums it up from what I understaned if its
          lighter than fir ply its not good stuff oh well guess you cant always
          win better to find out now than to watch my boat rot in a coup[le3 of
          years like they always say buyer beware thanks for the prompt reply
          Mike
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 8, 2007
            David has it pritty well covered. If you go in the Glen-L sight under
            boat building materials there are a links with a lot of info on woods
            and rot resistance. As far as any of the big gox or discount lumber
            yards I find better quality and prices at the lumberyards the
            builders use except for exotic woods.

            Jon

          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mikearedmond@...> wrote:
              > > But wait, there's a glimmer of hope for those looking for
              > inexpensive
              > > plywood. Have you checked out MDO?

              Hi Mike,

              Hope you caught that "glimmer of hope" from David. I would even
              go so far as to say it is much more then a glimmer.More like a rising-
              sun-of-blinding-good-news-for-amateur-boat-builders. If you always
              liked fir, you're gonna love MDO :-)

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan,long time addict of MDO for years now, with no help in
              sight :-D
            • John and Kathy Trussell
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                I love good quality MDO, but it is only available in 3/8" and 1/2" thicknesses which somewhat limits its use on small boats.

                JohnT
                > > But wait, there's a glimmer of hope for those looking for
                > inexpensive
                > > plywood. Have you checked out MDO?

                Hi Mike,

                Hope you caught that "glimmer of hope" from David. I would even
                go so far as to say it is much more then a glimmer.More like a rising-
                sun-of-blinding-good-news-for-amateur-boat-builders. If you always
                liked fir, you're gonna love MDO :-)

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan,long time addict of MDO for years now, with no help in
                sight :-D

              • Clyde Wisner
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                  MDO, best quality is called "signal" I think and is expensive. Remember
                  that MDO is heavy. I don't know weight per sqft, but I used it to sheath
                  my boat shed because I was just going to paint it and conveniently it
                  came in 10ft lenghts. 8ft sections of 10 ft wall are all a friend and I
                  wanted to lift or stand up. It made a pretty shed though. Could also be
                  the "fat,dumb, and old" syndrome though. Clyde

                  John and Kathy Trussell wrote:

                  > I love good quality MDO, but it is only available in 3/8" and 1/2"
                  > thicknesses which somewhat limits its use on small boats.
                  >
                  > JohnT

                • Clyde Wisner
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                    I forgot to say the sheathing was 3/8"MDO

                    Clyde Wisner wrote:

                    > MDO, best quality is called "signal" I think and is expensive. Remember
                    > that MDO is heavy. I don't know weight per sqft, but I used it to sheath
                    > my boat shed because I was just going to paint it and conveniently it
                    > came in 10ft lenghts. 8ft sections of 10 ft wall are all a friend and I
                    > wanted to lift or stand up. It made a pretty shed though. Could also be
                    > the "fat,dumb, and old" syndrome though. Clyde
                    >
                    > John and Kathy Trussell wrote:
                    >
                    > > I love good quality MDO, but it is only available in 3/8" and 1/2"
                    > > thicknesses which somewhat limits its use on small boats.
                    > >
                    > > JohnT

                  • Hajo Smulders
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                      Maybe I'm an idiot here; but what the heck is MDO?

                      Hajo

                      On Dec 9, 2007 10:42 AM, Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:

                      > I forgot to say the sheathing was 3/8"MDO
                      >

                      > Clyde Wisner wrote:
                      >
                      > > MDO, best quality is called "signal" I think and is expensive. Remember
                      > > that MDO is heavy. I don't know weight per sqft, but I used it to sheath
                      > > my boat shed because I was just going to paint it and conveniently it
                      > > came in 10ft lenghts. 8ft sections of 10 ft wall are all a friend and I
                      > > wanted to lift or stand up. It made a pretty shed though. Could also be
                      > > the "fat,dumb, and old" syndrome though. Clyde
                      > >
                      > > John and Kathy Trussell wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I love good quality MDO, but it is only available in 3/8" and 1/2"
                      > > > thicknesses which somewhat limits its use on small boats.
                      > > >
                      > > > JohnT

                    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                        It is a plywood that was developed for sign making. Med. Dens. Overlay.
                        It is a plywood made with more glue then marine and has a fiber
                        covering glued on with the same glue. Workes great with epoxy and all
                        paints.

                        Jon

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Hajo Smulders" <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                        > Maybe I'm an idiot here; but what the heck is MDO?
                        >
                        > Hajo
                      • Hajo Smulders
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                          Thx for the quick reply. Where does one get MDO?

                          Hajo

                          On Dec 9, 2007 7:48 PM, Jon & Wanda(Tink) <windyjon@...> wrote:

                          > It is a plywood that was developed for sign making. Med. Dens. Overlay.
                          > It is a plywood made with more glue then marine and has a fiber
                          > covering glued on with the same glue. Workes great with epoxy and all
                          > paints.
                          >
                          > Jon
                          >

                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <bolger%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hajo Smulders"
                          > <hajosmulders@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Maybe I'm an idiot here; but what the heck is MDO?
                          > >
                          > > Hajo

                        • John Kohnen
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                            Another "detail" to watch out for is plywood with fir or pine face plies,
                            but "poplar" (cottonwood) inner plies. I recall the disgust of the plywood
                            mill workers that'd stop on their way home after work at a tavern I used
                            to frequent, when the mill started using cottonood cores. Even these
                            unsophisticated "wood maggots," as the bartender and biker patrons called
                            them, who'd never taken overly much pride in their work, were appalled.
                            <sigh> If you think pine is rot-prone try cottonwood!

                            Fortunately, for small, cheap boats that will be stored under cover rot
                            resistance isn't terribly important.

                            There's MDO and then there's MDO... The MDO that you might find at Home
                            Despot or Lowe's is gonna be the lousy stuff. Try to find a real
                            lumberyard, where builders and contractors shop. They can probably order
                            you good MDO, and they'll have better exterior plywood than HD on hand.
                            Oly Panel makes some good MDO:

                            http://www.olypanel.com/

                            --
                            John <jkohnen@...>
                            One cat just leads to another. <Ernest Hemingway>
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                              Got to love Cottonwood if you cut it for fire wood and stack it to
                              dry it rots faster then it dries,

                              Jon

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                But it makes pretty good fenceposts in spite of that -- plant a green
                                cottonwood fencepost and it grows into a tree! <g>

                                On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:14:38 -0800, Jon wrote:

                                > Got to love Cottonwood if you cut it for fire wood and stack it to
                                > dry it rots faster then it dries,

                                --
                                John <jkohnen@...>
                                A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
                                <Robert A. Heinlein>
                              • Harry James
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                  Medium density overlay, plywood with a phenolic overlay usually for
                                  signmaking or plywood concrete forms. The plywood is normally without
                                  voids and has exterior glue. Basically the same quality as Marine
                                  plywood. Good stuff if you want quality wood and you can get it.

                                  http://www.olypanel.com/signMaking/

                                  HJ

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                    And if you get it to dry it still won't burn.

                                    HJ

                                    Jon & Wanda(Tink) wrote:
                                    > Got to love Cottonwood if you cut it for fire wood and stack it to
                                    > dry it rots faster then it dries,
                                    >
                                    > Jon
                                    >
                                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Another "detail" to watch out for is plywood with fir or pine face
                                    >>
                                    > plies,
                                    >
                                    >> but "poplar" (cottonwood) inner plies. I recall the disgust of the
                                    >>
                                    > plywood
                                    >
                                    >> mill workers that'd stop on their way home after work at a tavern I
                                    >>
                                    > used
                                    >
                                    >> to frequent, when the mill started using cottonood cores. Even
                                    >>
                                    > these
                                    >
                                    >> unsophisticated "wood maggots," as the bartender and biker patrons
                                    >>
                                    > called
                                    >
                                    >> them, who'd never taken overly much pride in their work, were
                                    >>
                                    > appalled.
                                    >
                                    >> <sigh> If you think pine is rot-prone try cottonwood!
                                    >>
                                    >> Fortunately, for small, cheap boats that will be stored under cover
                                    >>
                                    > rot
                                    >
                                    >> resistance isn't terribly important.
                                    >>
                                    >> There's MDO and then there's MDO... The MDO that you might find at

                                    >> Despot or Lowe's is gonna be the lousy stuff. Try to find a real
                                    >> lumberyard, where builders and contractors shop. They can probably
                                    >>
                                    > order
                                    >
                                    >> you good MDO, and they'll have better exterior plywood than HD on
                                    >>
                                    > hand.

                                  • Patrick Crockett
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                      I dunno -- when we were living in New Mexico, people prized cottonwood
                                      because it burns hot and fast and clean. Folklore was that if you burned
                                      some cottonwood now and then in your fireplace, it would clean out the
                                      creosote left behind by the pine you'd been burning. Also, though the
                                      wood seems similar (though I don't recall noticing a greenish tint in
                                      cottonwood logs), it seems to me that the cottonwood leaves were a
                                      different shape from the poplar leaves here in North Carolina. Been a
                                      few years, though, so I could be misremembering.

                                      I can attest to poplar's lack of resistance to rot -- it does indeed
                                      decay faster than it dries in a humid environment. You sure can get wide
                                      planks out of it, though. Not to mention big bowls and trays.

                                      Patrick

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                        John K. and I are in the NW where summer is when the rain gets warm.
                                        LOL Here the cotton wood and Alders can have some realy pritty grain
                                        colors but they often fade with drying.

                                        Jon

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007

                                          > And if you get it to dry it still won't burn.

                                          Hey!Sounds like the perfect wood for boats and insurance companies! :-D

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Peter Lenihan
                                        • Harry James
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                            I have never had any luck with cottenwood as a fuel, possibly I was
                                            never able to get it dry. All my experience with it as a fuel was in
                                            Western AK. If you could get it to light it would just sit there and
                                            smolder. I do have Cottenwoods on my property here in Juneau, the one in
                                            the front yard did good service as the boys were growing up when they
                                            needed a tree to go sulk in.

                                            HJ

                                            Patrick Crockett wrote:
                                            > I dunno -- when we were living in New Mexico, people prized cottonwood
                                            > because it burns hot and fast and clean. Folklore was that if you burned
                                            > some cottonwood now and then in your fireplace, it would clean out the
                                            > creosote left behind by the pine you'd been burning. Also, though the
                                            > wood seems similar (though I don't recall noticing a greenish tint in
                                            > cottonwood logs), it seems to me that the cottonwood leaves were a
                                            > different shape from the poplar leaves here in North Carolina. Been a
                                            > few years, though, so I could be misremembering.
                                            >
                                            > I can attest to poplar's lack of resistance to rot -- it does indeed
                                            > decay faster than it dries in a humid environment. You sure can get wide
                                            > planks out of it, though. Not to mention big bowls and trays.
                                            >
                                            > Patrick
                                            >
                                            > Harry James wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> And if you get it to dry it still won't burn.
                                            >>
                                            >> HJ
                                            >>
                                            >> Jon & Wanda(Tink) wrote:
                                            >>

                                            >>> Got to love Cottonwood if you cut it for fire wood and stack it to
                                            >>> dry it rots faster then it dries,

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Harry James
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 9, 2007
                                              OK so I can't spell cottenwood cottinwood cottonwood.

                                              HJ

                                              Harry James wrote:
                                              > I have never had any luck with cottenwood as a fuel, possibly I was
                                              > never able to get it dry. All my experience with it as a fuel was in
                                              > Western AK. If you could get it to light it would just sit there and
                                              > smolder. I do have Cottenwoods on my property here in Juneau, the one in
                                              > the front yard did good service as the boys were growing up when they
                                              > needed a tree to go sulk in.
                                              >
                                              > HJ
                                              >
                                              > Patrick Crockett wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> I dunno -- when we were living in New Mexico, people prized cottonwood
                                              >> because it burns hot and fast and clean. Folklore was that if you burned
                                              >> some cottonwood now and then in your fireplace, it would clean out the
                                              >> creosote left behind by the pine you'd been burning. Also, though the
                                              >> wood seems similar (though I don't recall noticing a greenish tint in
                                              >> cottonwood logs), it seems to me that the cottonwood leaves were a
                                              >> different shape from the poplar leaves here in North Carolina. Been a
                                              >> few years, though, so I could be misremembering.
                                              >>
                                              >> I can attest to poplar's lack of resistance to rot -- it does indeed
                                              >> decay faster than it dries in a humid environment. You sure can get wide
                                              >> planks out of it, though. Not to mention big bowls and trays.
                                              >>
                                              >> Patrick
                                              >>
                                              >> Harry James wrote:
                                              >>

                                              >>> And if you get it to dry it still won't burn.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> HJ

                                            • Kathy Kreamer
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                Some old advice...from which I get the distinct impression that ash wood is
                                                the fuel of choice.

                                                WOOD HEAT
                                                From TREE FARM by John Estabrook

                                                Beech wood fires are bright and clear
                                                If the logs are kept a year.
                                                Chestnut's only good, they say
                                                If for long it's laid away.
                                                But ash wood new or ash wood old
                                                Is fit for a queen with a crown of gold.

                                                Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
                                                Blaze up bright and do not last.
                                                It is by the Irish said
                                                Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
                                                Elm wood burns like churchyard mould -
                                                E'en the very flames are cold;
                                                But ash wood green and ash wood brown
                                                Is fit for a queen with a golden crown.

                                                Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
                                                Fills your eyes and makes you choke.
                                                Apple wood will scent your room
                                                With an incense like perfume.
                                                Oaken logs if dry and old
                                                Keep away the winter cold.
                                                But ash wood wet and ash wood dry
                                                A king shall warm his slippers by.

                                                Oak logs will warm you well,
                                                If they're warm and dry.
                                                Larch logs of pine wood smell
                                                But sparks will fly.
                                                Beech logs for Christmas time;
                                                Yew logs heat well.
                                                Scotch logs it's a crime
                                                For anyone to sell.

                                                Birch logs will burn too fast,
                                                Chestnut scarce at all.
                                                Hawthorn logs are good to last,
                                                If cut in the fall.
                                                Holly logs will burn like wax,
                                                You should burn them green.
                                                Elm logs like smouldering flax;
                                                No flames to be seen.

                                                Pear logs and apple logs,
                                                They will scent your room.
                                                Cherry logs across the dogs
                                                Smell like flowers in bloom.
                                                But ash logs all smooth and gray,
                                                Burn them green or old,
                                                Buy up all that come you way,
                                                They're worth their weight in gold.

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                  On Dec 9, 2007 5:00 PM, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

                                                  > Thx for the quick reply. Where does one get MDO?
                                                  >
                                                  > Hajo

                                                  Phone around to the commercial lumberyards. You might also try asking
                                                  the local sign maker company where they buy theirs. The 'overlay' is
                                                  quite hard, and I understand it is resin impregnated fibe, not unlike
                                                  resin impregnated fiberglass. Some of the overlays are designed for
                                                  concrete formwork and are slippery so the concrete doesn't stick, (and
                                                  also paint). The sign maker MDO is designed so that paint sticks
                                                  tightly, and that is what you want for a painted boat.

                                                  I wish it came in 1/4" thickness, but the thinnest I have found is 1/2"
                                                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                    Some Olyply comes in 5/16th to 1-1/4th but standard is 3/8 and 1/2. The
                                                    over lay for concrete forms is HDO not MDO.

                                                    Jon

                                                    > On Dec 9, 2007 5:00 PM, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thx for the quick reply. Where does one get MDO?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Hajo
                                                    >
                                                    > Phone around to the commercial lumberyards. You might also try asking
                                                    > the local sign maker company where they buy theirs. The 'overlay' is
                                                    > quite hard, and I understand it is resin impregnated fibe, not unlike
                                                    > resin impregnated fiberglass. Some of the overlays are designed for
                                                    > concrete formwork and are slippery so the concrete doesn't stick, (and
                                                    > also paint). The sign maker MDO is designed so that paint sticks
                                                    > tightly, and that is what you want for a painted boat.
                                                    >
                                                    > I wish it came in 1/4" thickness, but the thinnest I have found is
                                                    1/2"

                                                  • Kristine Bennett
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                      Cottonwood is a weed! I've seen Cottonwood trees rot from the inside out while they are growing... But Cottonwood does make good pulp for paper!

                                                      Like they say people from the northwest don't tan we rust.. I do think it's funny, the people in the Puget Sound area thinks it rains a lot... Try living in SE Alaska some places over 200 inch a year! Also the Gulf Coast gets more rain then Seattle by about double.

                                                      Blessings all
                                                      Krissie

                                                      "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote: John K. and I are in the NW where summer is when the rain gets warm.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                        The HDO makes great workbench tops! That's what the Mark used on all the workbenches when he was setting up the new Fab shop.

                                                        Blessings Krissie

                                                        "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote: Some Olyply comes in 5/16th to 1-1/4th but standard is 3/8 and 1/2. The
                                                        over lay for concrete forms is HDO not MDO.

                                                        Jon

                                                        > On Dec 9, 2007 5:00 PM, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Thx for the quick reply. Where does one get MDO?
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Hajo
                                                        >
                                                        > Phone around to the commercial lumberyards. You might also try asking
                                                        > the local sign maker company where they buy theirs. The 'overlay' is
                                                        > quite hard, and I understand it is resin impregnated fibe, not unlike
                                                        > resin impregnated fiberglass. Some of the overlays are designed for
                                                        > concrete formwork and are slippery so the concrete doesn't stick, (and
                                                        > also paint). The sign maker MDO is designed so that paint sticks
                                                        > tightly, and that is what you want for a painted boat.
                                                        >
                                                        > I wish it came in 1/4" thickness, but the thinnest I have found is
                                                        1/2"

                                                      • John Kohnen
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 11, 2007
                                                          Your N. Carolina "poplar" is yellow poplar, tulip poplar, or tulip tree --
                                                          Liriodendron tulipifera. It's not even remotely related to cottonwood or
                                                          it's poplar relatives -- Populus spp. Makes things confusing, doesn't it?
                                                          <g>

                                                          On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:11:17 -0800, Patrick C wrote:

                                                          > Also, though the
                                                          > wood seems similar (though I don't recall noticing a greenish tint in
                                                          > cottonwood logs), it seems to me that the cottonwood leaves were a
                                                          > different shape from the poplar leaves here in North Carolina. Been a
                                                          > few years, though, so I could be misremembering.
                                                          >I can attest to poplar's lack of resistance to rot -- it does indeed
                                                          > decay faster than it dries in a humid environment. You sure can get wide
                                                          > planks out of it, though. Not to mention big bowls and trays.

                                                          John <jkohnen@...>
                                                          History is a vast early warning system. <Norman Cousins>
                                                        • Harry James
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 11, 2007
                                                            And was a favorite building wood of the late Robb White if I remember
                                                            correctly

                                                            HJ