Re: [bolger] Re: Random Orbital sanding

  • Hajo Smulders
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
      RO Air tools are Noisy; However what is more noisy than the actual tool in
      my case is my compressor constantly kicking in! These use a LOT of airflow.
      If you're going to go this way you better have a heavy duty piston driven
      compressor with a huge tank.
      I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Disks are a lot cheaper! I also like being able
      to use very fine grit, wet sanding sandpaper. (This is for paint work; not
      wood work...)
      There is absolutely a qualitative difference in tools between different
      brands. However I am NOT a professional woodworker. Just as I use a $3000
      Apple laptop for my work (I'm a programmer; work spend 50-60 hours a week on
      the thing) I would recommend most people to buy a $600 laptop. This is not
      financially justified; It's just nice when you spend a LOT of time with a
      tool to have the best one you can get.
      Most of my power tools are RYOBI. I like them; they're cheap; they're good
      enough for me... and let's face it; they get barely any work done on them;
      maybe a few hours a year per tool.(My most popular tools; my electrical saws
      get maybe 20 hours of actual work a year on each of them; and I doubt that
      it's that much!
      What I did spend money on:
      High quality sharpening stones. You won't find these at harbor freight!
      A GOOD quality chisel set
      A GOOD quality block plane
      (I bought chisel set and block plane used on ebay. Although I could have
      bought multiple new sets at harbor freight for what I paid these are a
      pleasure to work with. Also It didn't break the bank: Instead of $10 I would
      pay $30 which is very acceptable to me for a tool I'll hopefully be using
      for a lot of years to come.)
      A GOOD quality Japanese pull saw
      GOOD quality measuring tools
      The rest of my tools are all cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on quality
      wood and epoxy. I especially consider epoxy to be very important since you
      can't visually inspect it when you buy it so you have to depend on brand
      name. I also have been bitten in the past in the @ss using cheap epoxy on a
      canoe. I have used West system 3 exclusively since that happened.

      Hajo

      On Dec 3, 2007 3:21 PM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

      > Not to rock the boat,
      >
      > 1) I am curious if an Random Orbital air tool makes sense? Are they
      > so obnoxiously noisy that my neighbors will be calling the noise
      > control officer?
      >
      > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
      > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
      > 77 spray adhesive instead.
      >
      > 3) I don't want to argue with the tool group that say 'only the best
      > is good enough', but I see that I can buy four $29 generic RO sanders
      > for the price of a fancy name brand sander. (And I have a sneaky
      > suspicion that all these sanders are made in the same Chinese factory
      > anyway)
      >
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93431

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
        LOL Gee I have not a single idea why??!! I see the dyke left a few words out of her message... Funny I understood what I was trying to say.

        Blessings Krissie

        Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...> wrote:
        > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
        But I can't get the guys to do it!

        OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
        tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
        taste :-)...........

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
          Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You butt! :)

          Blesssings Krissie

          Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...> wrote:
          > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
          But I can't get the guys to do it!

          OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
          tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
          taste :-)...........

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007

            > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
            words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
            butt! :)

            Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
            my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
            mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
            brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

            Sincerely,

            Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........
          • Chester Young
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 5, 2007
              Thanks, yall just made my day :-)

              Caloosarat

              _____

              > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
              words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
              butt! :)

              Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
              my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
              mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
              brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

              Sincerely,

              Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........

            • doug6949
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
                It is an axiom of brush motor design that brush life goes down
                substantially as current increases. And current increases with load.
                Push an already undersized motor hard and brush life literally goes
                from hours to minutes.

                Bottom line: Bog your electric tools down and they will die quickly.
                So let the tool do the work.

                FWIW, we go through lots of 4.5" angle grinders at work. The Metabo
                holds up best and always gets stolen before wearing out.

                Doug