Re: Random Orbital sanders and 4 1/2 inch grinders

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
      I can just about bet she has heard all those jokes already. Good to see
      the Amazon is still around and giveing good .... advice.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
      > > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
      > But I can't get the guys to do it!
      >
      > OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
      > tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
      > taste :-)...........

    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
        RO Air tools are Noisy; However what is more noisy than the actual tool in
        my case is my compressor constantly kicking in! These use a LOT of airflow.
        If you're going to go this way you better have a heavy duty piston driven
        compressor with a huge tank.
        I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Disks are a lot cheaper! I also like being able
        to use very fine grit, wet sanding sandpaper. (This is for paint work; not
        wood work...)
        There is absolutely a qualitative difference in tools between different
        brands. However I am NOT a professional woodworker. Just as I use a $3000
        Apple laptop for my work (I'm a programmer; work spend 50-60 hours a week on
        the thing) I would recommend most people to buy a $600 laptop. This is not
        financially justified; It's just nice when you spend a LOT of time with a
        tool to have the best one you can get.
        Most of my power tools are RYOBI. I like them; they're cheap; they're good
        enough for me... and let's face it; they get barely any work done on them;
        maybe a few hours a year per tool.(My most popular tools; my electrical saws
        get maybe 20 hours of actual work a year on each of them; and I doubt that
        it's that much!
        What I did spend money on:
        High quality sharpening stones. You won't find these at harbor freight!
        A GOOD quality chisel set
        A GOOD quality block plane
        (I bought chisel set and block plane used on ebay. Although I could have
        bought multiple new sets at harbor freight for what I paid these are a
        pleasure to work with. Also It didn't break the bank: Instead of $10 I would
        pay $30 which is very acceptable to me for a tool I'll hopefully be using
        for a lot of years to come.)
        A GOOD quality Japanese pull saw
        GOOD quality measuring tools
        The rest of my tools are all cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on quality
        wood and epoxy. I especially consider epoxy to be very important since you
        can't visually inspect it when you buy it so you have to depend on brand
        name. I also have been bitten in the past in the @ss using cheap epoxy on a
        canoe. I have used West system 3 exclusively since that happened.

        Hajo

        On Dec 3, 2007 3:21 PM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

        > Not to rock the boat,
        >
        > 1) I am curious if an Random Orbital air tool makes sense? Are they
        > so obnoxiously noisy that my neighbors will be calling the noise
        > control officer?
        >
        > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
        > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
        > 77 spray adhesive instead.
        >
        > 3) I don't want to argue with the tool group that say 'only the best
        > is good enough', but I see that I can buy four $29 generic RO sanders
        > for the price of a fancy name brand sander. (And I have a sneaky
        > suspicion that all these sanders are made in the same Chinese factory
        > anyway)
        >
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93431

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
          LOL Gee I have not a single idea why??!! I see the dyke left a few words out of her message... Funny I understood what I was trying to say.

          Blessings Krissie

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
            Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You butt! :)

            Blesssings Krissie

            Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...> wrote:
            > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
            But I can't get the guys to do it!

            OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
            tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
            taste :-)...........

          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007

              > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
              words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
              butt! :)

              Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
              my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
              mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
              brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

              Sincerely,

              Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........
            • Chester Young
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 5, 2007
                Thanks, yall just made my day :-)

                Caloosarat

                _____

                > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                butt! :)

                Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                Sincerely,

                Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........

              • doug6949
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
                  It is an axiom of brush motor design that brush life goes down
                  substantially as current increases. And current increases with load.
                  Push an already undersized motor hard and brush life literally goes
                  from hours to minutes.

                  Bottom line: Bog your electric tools down and they will die quickly.
                  So let the tool do the work.

                  FWIW, we go through lots of 4.5" angle grinders at work. The Metabo
                  holds up best and always gets stolen before wearing out.

                  Doug