Random Orbital sanders and 4 1/2 inch grinders

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
      I've been reading the posts on the RO sanders. When it comes to tools you get what you pay for. I have use almost all the brands that have been listed. No matter what brand you use around fiberglass you are going to eat up bearings and brushes. Wood dust will do the same thing only slower.

      When it comes to, bang for the buck I've had good luck with the RO sanders and the 4 1/2 inch grinders you can get from Harbor Freight Tools here in the U.S. The one thing I do is pop the gear case on the grinder open and full it with good grease. This goes a long way to get the life out of the gears.

      Where I work we have five electric buffers that we use to buff the stainless steel tubing we build boat rails out of... They get used a lot. I have two or three of them pulled apart fixing them every month. The buffing compound just eats them up inside. The big thing is keeping them as clean as you can inside.

      Blowing them out every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live! But I can't get the guys to do it!

      Here in the U.S. 3M offers some sanding disks and pad that are called Sand Blasters I find the hold up very well grinding and sanding on straight fiberglass. They hold up well fairing out welds on steel as well.

      Yes I have to agree with you Bryant "Let the tools do their job" The tools also last a whole lot longer as well!

      Bryant Owen <mariner@...> wrote: A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me
      the same thing. LET THE TOOL DO THE WORK! RO sanders, hand saws,
      drills, etc.

      Bryant - who is on RO sander #3 and wants it to be the last.

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
        > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
        But I can't get the guys to do it!

        OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
        tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
        taste :-)...........
      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
          I can just about bet she has heard all those jokes already. Good to see
          the Amazon is still around and giveing good .... advice.

          Jon

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
          > > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
          > But I can't get the guys to do it!
          >
          > OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
          > tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D
          >

          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
          > taste :-)...........

        • Hajo Smulders
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
            RO Air tools are Noisy; However what is more noisy than the actual tool in
            my case is my compressor constantly kicking in! These use a LOT of airflow.
            If you're going to go this way you better have a heavy duty piston driven
            compressor with a huge tank.
            I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Disks are a lot cheaper! I also like being able
            to use very fine grit, wet sanding sandpaper. (This is for paint work; not
            wood work...)
            There is absolutely a qualitative difference in tools between different
            brands. However I am NOT a professional woodworker. Just as I use a $3000
            Apple laptop for my work (I'm a programmer; work spend 50-60 hours a week on
            the thing) I would recommend most people to buy a $600 laptop. This is not
            financially justified; It's just nice when you spend a LOT of time with a
            tool to have the best one you can get.
            Most of my power tools are RYOBI. I like them; they're cheap; they're good
            enough for me... and let's face it; they get barely any work done on them;
            maybe a few hours a year per tool.(My most popular tools; my electrical saws
            get maybe 20 hours of actual work a year on each of them; and I doubt that
            it's that much!
            What I did spend money on:
            High quality sharpening stones. You won't find these at harbor freight!
            A GOOD quality chisel set
            A GOOD quality block plane
            (I bought chisel set and block plane used on ebay. Although I could have
            bought multiple new sets at harbor freight for what I paid these are a
            pleasure to work with. Also It didn't break the bank: Instead of $10 I would
            pay $30 which is very acceptable to me for a tool I'll hopefully be using
            for a lot of years to come.)
            A GOOD quality Japanese pull saw
            GOOD quality measuring tools
            The rest of my tools are all cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on quality
            wood and epoxy. I especially consider epoxy to be very important since you
            can't visually inspect it when you buy it so you have to depend on brand
            name. I also have been bitten in the past in the @ss using cheap epoxy on a
            canoe. I have used West system 3 exclusively since that happened.

            Hajo

            On Dec 3, 2007 3:21 PM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

            > Not to rock the boat,
            >
            > 1) I am curious if an Random Orbital air tool makes sense? Are they
            > so obnoxiously noisy that my neighbors will be calling the noise
            > control officer?
            >
            > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
            > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
            > 77 spray adhesive instead.
            >
            > 3) I don't want to argue with the tool group that say 'only the best
            > is good enough', but I see that I can buy four $29 generic RO sanders
            > for the price of a fancy name brand sander. (And I have a sneaky
            > suspicion that all these sanders are made in the same Chinese factory
            > anyway)
            >
            > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93431

          • Kristine Bennett
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
              LOL Gee I have not a single idea why??!! I see the dyke left a few words out of her message... Funny I understood what I was trying to say.

              Blessings Krissie

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You butt! :)

                Blesssings Krissie

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007

                  > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                  words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                  butt! :)

                  Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                  my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                  mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                  brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........
                • Chester Young
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 5, 2007
                    Thanks, yall just made my day :-)

                    Caloosarat

                    _____

                    > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                    words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                    butt! :)

                    Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                    my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                    mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                    brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........

                  • doug6949
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
                      It is an axiom of brush motor design that brush life goes down
                      substantially as current increases. And current increases with load.
                      Push an already undersized motor hard and brush life literally goes
                      from hours to minutes.

                      Bottom line: Bog your electric tools down and they will die quickly.
                      So let the tool do the work.

                      FWIW, we go through lots of 4.5" angle grinders at work. The Metabo
                      holds up best and always gets stolen before wearing out.

                      Doug