Re: [bolger] Re: build a micro?

  • mike weekes
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
      There ia a 25 foot tug I'd like to build - has anyone ever heard of a 25 foot tack n tape style as large as 25' long and 8'6" wide with perhaps 2 foot draw?

      yellowstone_mike@...

      Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proaconstrictor" <proaconstrictor@...>
      wrote:
      Micros are getting a little dated. A lot has
      > changed in the last 20-30 years of boatbuilding, and I don't think
      the
      > bang for the buck is there today. They are still the right answer
      for
      > someone, and they haven't changed from what they were, unlike some
      PB
      > designs since. Built to current standards, there just isn't the
      same
      > bang for the buck.
      >
      > Today, there really isn't as much reason to build a box as costly as
      > this one.

      Weeelllll I don't know about that.The water certainly hasn't changed
      all that much nor has the wind and they've been around for a very very
      long time :-)

      For max interior volume, it is hard to beat a box, any box.
      Information technology has advanced and there are indeed oodles of new
      fresh designs out there but,and here is the challenge; using only 14
      sheets of plywood, produce a boat with handsome rugged good looks( I
      know,not eveyones' cup of tea), make it self-righing,self-
      rescuing,capable of comfortably sailing in all but the strongest of
      winds( well up into the small craft warning zone),able to be
      provisioned with stores for two for at least a week at a time,give it
      a cabin not sliced in two buy a centerboard case and with a comfy
      sitting headroom cabin.Make it railerable.
      I'll bet the computer designers will be mighty pissed off when the
      machine keeps spitting out a) a box or b) a shape so "tortured" only a
      professional would attempt to build it.
      In the end,however, one should keep in mind the origins of the MICRO
      design. It was intended to be a boat easily built by non-boatbuilders,
      a relaxing and forgiving day-sailor which could handle an occasional
      over-night and at the end of the day be brought home and put to bed
      right beside the car in the drive way, while not costing a small
      fortune to build in relatively little time.This bare bones brief, I
      believe, was met with the MICRO, and many of those same requirements
      still hold considerable allure for young and not so young folks
      seeking to be on the water in a boat wrought of their own hands.

      I know there have been some fine summer days when I wished I still had
      mine in the water:-)(are you reading this Nels?...in the water!)

      O.K., enough of my nonsense. I was and remain a sucker for the Micro!!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan...............

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
        Stitch and glue boats can be built in any size. Most larger boats use
        frames, molds, bulkheads, etc. to hold the shape during construction.
        What boat are you talking about?

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > There ia a 25 foot tug I'd like to build - has anyone ever heard of a
        > 25 foot tack n tape style as large as 25' long and 8'6" wide with
        > perhaps 2 foot draw?
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, mike weekes <yellowstone_mike@...>
          wrote:

          > There ia a 25 foot tug I'd like to build - has anyone ever heard of
          a 25 foot tack n tape style as large as 25' long and 8'6" wide with
          perhaps 2 foot draw?

          > yellowstone_mike@...

          Sam Devlin has two lovely stitch-n-glue "tugs",that look like this:

          http://www.devlinboat.com/godzilla2.jpg

          His web site has more pictures and information.

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan, wandering in a winter wonderland...........
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
            His Kingfisher also

            http://www.devlinboat.com/dckingfisher26.htm