Re: Random Orbital sanding

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
      You can get a new hook and loop face that glues on at Lowe's for not
      much.

      Jon

      > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
      > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
      > 77 spray adhesive instead.
    • Bryant Owen
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
        A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me
        the same thing. LET THE TOOL DO THE WORK! RO sanders, hand saws,
        drills, etc.

        Bryant - who is on RO sander #3 and wants it to be the last.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BllFs6@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/3/2007 1:18:51 PM Central Standard Time,
        > otter55806@... writes:
        >
        > Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
        > > that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-
        > heating...not
        > > that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
        > > Californian, you! :-D......... Cali
        > >

        > Another random thought on power tools....particularly electric ones...
        >

        > If you are bogging it down....ie trying to drill, cut, sand or
        whatever SOOO
        > hard that you can hear the motor speed decreasing
        significantly....thats
        > just plain old BAD for the motor, brushes, and bearings....and
        probably isnt
        > helping the human body parts either....and is probably less
        efficient work
        > progress wise either...
        >
        > Its bad for the bearings because it means you are putting too much
        force on
        > them....
        >
        > Its bad for the motor because decreased speed means decreased air
        flow in
        > COMBINATION with the same IF NOT MORE electrical power being
        deposited IN THE
        > MOTOR....so less air flow AND MORE heat to get rid of....bad combo...
        >
        > electrics are unlike internal combustion in that respect....a nearly
        stalled
        > IC engine aint producing much heat....a near stalled electric is
        drawing the
        > same, if not more power...and MORE of that energy is going into
        HEATING the
        > motor....
        >
        > And yeah, frequent blowing out of the electric motors is probably a
        good
        > idea as well....
        >
        > my .02 pesos
        >
        > Blll

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
          I've been reading the posts on the RO sanders. When it comes to tools you get what you pay for. I have use almost all the brands that have been listed. No matter what brand you use around fiberglass you are going to eat up bearings and brushes. Wood dust will do the same thing only slower.

          When it comes to, bang for the buck I've had good luck with the RO sanders and the 4 1/2 inch grinders you can get from Harbor Freight Tools here in the U.S. The one thing I do is pop the gear case on the grinder open and full it with good grease. This goes a long way to get the life out of the gears.

          Where I work we have five electric buffers that we use to buff the stainless steel tubing we build boat rails out of... They get used a lot. I have two or three of them pulled apart fixing them every month. The buffing compound just eats them up inside. The big thing is keeping them as clean as you can inside.

          Blowing them out every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live! But I can't get the guys to do it!

          Here in the U.S. 3M offers some sanding disks and pad that are called Sand Blasters I find the hold up very well grinding and sanding on straight fiberglass. They hold up well fairing out welds on steel as well.

          Yes I have to agree with you Bryant "Let the tools do their job" The tools also last a whole lot longer as well!

          Bryant Owen <mariner@...> wrote: A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me
          the same thing. LET THE TOOL DO THE WORK! RO sanders, hand saws,
          drills, etc.

          Bryant - who is on RO sander #3 and wants it to be the last.

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
            > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
            But I can't get the guys to do it!

            OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
            tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
            taste :-)...........
          • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
              I can just about bet she has heard all those jokes already. Good to see
              the Amazon is still around and giveing good .... advice.

              Jon

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
              > > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
              > But I can't get the guys to do it!
              >
              > OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
              > tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D
              >

              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
              > taste :-)...........

            • Hajo Smulders
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                RO Air tools are Noisy; However what is more noisy than the actual tool in
                my case is my compressor constantly kicking in! These use a LOT of airflow.
                If you're going to go this way you better have a heavy duty piston driven
                compressor with a huge tank.
                I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Disks are a lot cheaper! I also like being able
                to use very fine grit, wet sanding sandpaper. (This is for paint work; not
                wood work...)
                There is absolutely a qualitative difference in tools between different
                brands. However I am NOT a professional woodworker. Just as I use a $3000
                Apple laptop for my work (I'm a programmer; work spend 50-60 hours a week on
                the thing) I would recommend most people to buy a $600 laptop. This is not
                financially justified; It's just nice when you spend a LOT of time with a
                tool to have the best one you can get.
                Most of my power tools are RYOBI. I like them; they're cheap; they're good
                enough for me... and let's face it; they get barely any work done on them;
                maybe a few hours a year per tool.(My most popular tools; my electrical saws
                get maybe 20 hours of actual work a year on each of them; and I doubt that
                it's that much!
                What I did spend money on:
                High quality sharpening stones. You won't find these at harbor freight!
                A GOOD quality chisel set
                A GOOD quality block plane
                (I bought chisel set and block plane used on ebay. Although I could have
                bought multiple new sets at harbor freight for what I paid these are a
                pleasure to work with. Also It didn't break the bank: Instead of $10 I would
                pay $30 which is very acceptable to me for a tool I'll hopefully be using
                for a lot of years to come.)
                A GOOD quality Japanese pull saw
                GOOD quality measuring tools
                The rest of my tools are all cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on quality
                wood and epoxy. I especially consider epoxy to be very important since you
                can't visually inspect it when you buy it so you have to depend on brand
                name. I also have been bitten in the past in the @ss using cheap epoxy on a
                canoe. I have used West system 3 exclusively since that happened.

                Hajo

                On Dec 3, 2007 3:21 PM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

                > Not to rock the boat,
                >
                > 1) I am curious if an Random Orbital air tool makes sense? Are they
                > so obnoxiously noisy that my neighbors will be calling the noise
                > control officer?
                >
                > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
                > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
                > 77 spray adhesive instead.
                >
                > 3) I don't want to argue with the tool group that say 'only the best
                > is good enough', but I see that I can buy four $29 generic RO sanders
                > for the price of a fancy name brand sander. (And I have a sneaky
                > suspicion that all these sanders are made in the same Chinese factory
                > anyway)
                >
                > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93431

              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                  LOL Gee I have not a single idea why??!! I see the dyke left a few words out of her message... Funny I understood what I was trying to say.

                  Blessings Krissie

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You butt! :)

                    Blesssings Krissie

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007

                      > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                      words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                      butt! :)

                      Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                      my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                      mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                      brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........
                    • Chester Young
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 5, 2007
                        Thanks, yall just made my day :-)

                        Caloosarat

                        _____

                        > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                        words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                        butt! :)

                        Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                        my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                        mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                        brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                        Sincerely,

                        Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........

                      • doug6949
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
                          It is an axiom of brush motor design that brush life goes down
                          substantially as current increases. And current increases with load.
                          Push an already undersized motor hard and brush life literally goes
                          from hours to minutes.

                          Bottom line: Bog your electric tools down and they will die quickly.
                          So let the tool do the work.

                          FWIW, we go through lots of 4.5" angle grinders at work. The Metabo
                          holds up best and always gets stolen before wearing out.

                          Doug