Re: Random Orbital sanding

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
      P.C., B&D and Dewalt are all realy the same company now so there is
      little differance. Been through 2 Riobi one lasted a long time the
      other short 1 Rigged that hooked to the shop-vac a cool feacher. The
      one I am useing now is a P.C. that is a little different it has a
      band under the pad so it isn't free wheeling but retards the free
      spin of the pad. Working good so far. Riged has a lifetime repair and
      replacement with it but it was 4 months till I got the warenty card
      back and will need to try it. LOL I am almost to the point that a big
      compresor and numatic is the best way to go but love ROS as a tool.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

      > Bruce - it's really hard to find a reasonably priced 5" R.O. sander
      > with all of the rest of the attributes listed. I've tried the latest
      > P.Cable palm-grip R.O. (about $50) and they didn't hold up in our
      > shop. The
      > deluxe DeWalt version (about $70) was better.
      >
      > Despite being very happy with all my other Bosch tools, their small
      > R.O. was a bust. What I've settled on for the workhorse is the Bosch
      > D-handle (about $120) 3725EVS. I have three of these now and the
      > oldest is still going strong after maybe 8 years in a high-
      production
      > environment. Since I've scaled back to semi-retirement, I expect
      them
      > to last me a good long time. But... if I ever have too much money
      > burning a hole in my pocket, I'll upgrade to a Festool RO150 (about
      $450).

      > Conclusion. I recommend the Bosch D-handle. Anything less than the
      > DeWalt is a crapshoot - not doomed, but odds not great.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > David Graybeal
      > Portland, OR
      >
      > "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
      > those who have not got it" -- George Bernard Shaw
      >
      > *********
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
      > > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
      > > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the
      Buck$
      > > Any advice on RO sanding?

    • Bryant Owen
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
        I had the same list and thought P-C. A woodworker I ran into told me
        to go the Ridgid route. Not a lot of use so far but I think it's a keeper.

        Bryant

        > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
        > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
        > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
        > Any advice on RO sanding?

      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
          I fond that with power tools when you work them hard a lot or around
          things that can be abrasive it eats the brushes. More and more brushes
          are cheaper and give no warning when they are getting down or can be
          replaced. Disposable world thought. We need more tools we can fix
          cheaply ourselfs.

          Jon

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

          > I had the same list and thought P-C. A woodworker I ran into told me
          > to go the Ridgid route. Not a lot of use so far but I think it's a
          keeper.

          > Bryant
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
          > > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
          > > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the
          Buck$
          > > Any advice on RO sanding?

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007

            > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
            > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
            > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
            > Any advice on RO sanding?

            Hi Bruce,

            Having sanded acres of epoxy too, on both a Micro and lately on
            WINDERMERE, I have yet to be able to kill my Porter-Cable R/O 333!
            And I have tried mightily too,going for 3,4,and even 5 hour stretches
            non-stop. The little buigger refuses to die. Just out of curiosity, do
            you blow out the dust,from the motor, at the end of each day? This may
            be what has fustrated my attempts to kill mine so that Santa can bring
            me new sander:-) With only a few short weeks left before Christmas, I
            should stop blowing out the dust....it may work this time :-D

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
            that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-heating...not
            that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
            Californian, you! :-D.......................
          • Doug Pollard
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
              I just go my Porter cable rebuilt for less than $30 New bearings, two
              gears, a switch and new cable. I hope to get a few more years out of
              it. Boy it as earned it's way over the years.I was expecting at the
              very least a $ 50 bill.

              Doug

              Bruce Hallman wrote:

              > Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
              > Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
              > value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
              > Any advice on RO sanding?

            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                Bruce

                I used a Dewalt on the rebuild on my Triton, 350 disks later it is still
                going strong. I have it hooked up to a shop vac with what I believe is a
                1.5 in in hose. No dust, very effective. The De Walt has a very good
                internal fan which assists the vacuum. I was in Sears looking for a
                similar rig for my son, $69 for what looked like a good Dewalt, Approx
                $50 for a 3 gal vacuum and another $12 for 10 feet of hose. I get my
                disks from one of the online sites you recommended.

                HJ

                David wrote:
                > Bruce - it's really hard to find a reasonably priced 5" R.O. sander
                > with all of the rest of the attributes listed. I've tried the latest
                > P.Cable palm-grip R.O. (about $50) and they didn't hold up in our
                > shop. The
                > deluxe DeWalt version (about $70) was better.
                >
                > Despite being very happy with all my other Bosch tools, their small
                > R.O. was a bust. What I've settled on for the workhorse is the Bosch
                > D-handle (about $120) 3725EVS. I have three of these now and the
                > oldest is still going strong after maybe 8 years in a high-production
                > environment. Since I've scaled back to semi-retirement, I expect them
                > to last me a good long time. But... if I ever have too much money
                > burning a hole in my pocket, I'll upgrade to a Festool RO150 (about $450).
                >
                > Conclusion. I recommend the Bosch D-handle. Anything less than the
                > DeWalt is a crapshoot - not doomed, but odds not great.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > David Graybeal
                > Portland, OR
                >
                > "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
                > those who have not got it" -- George Bernard Shaw
                >
                > *********
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Having sanded acres of epoxy on Topaz, etc. etc. my trusty
                >> Porter-Cable Quicksand (now discontinued) has started to die. I
                >> value 1) Powerful 2) Lightweight 3) Durability 4) $Bang for the Buck$
                >> Any advice on RO sanding?

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Bob Slimak
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                  There is one other way of going at this. Since almost all the hand
                  power tools nowdays are junk compared to years ago I figured that no
                  matter what brand I bought it was going to wear out with all the
                  sanding on a bigger boat. Therefore I bought an inexpensive Skill
                  from Menards, on sale for $29.95. I got it replaced twice during it's
                  two year warrenty. No messing around with sending it to the
                  manufacturer, just bring it into Menards and go grab a replacement. I
                  did the same thing with the belt sander. Peter is right on the dust
                  though. On my good 6" disc sander, which I don't want to wear out
                  too soon, I blow out the motor often, not just at the end of the day.

                  Bob Slimak
                  Who after shoveling 12 inches of snow yesterday can't wait until
                  January to head south!

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Not to rock the boat,

                    1) I am curious if an Random Orbital air tool makes sense? Are they
                    so obnoxiously noisy that my neighbors will be calling the noise
                    control officer?

                    2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
                    days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
                    77 spray adhesive instead.

                    3) I don't want to argue with the tool group that say 'only the best
                    is good enough', but I see that I can buy four $29 generic RO sanders
                    for the price of a fancy name brand sander. (And I have a sneaky
                    suspicion that all these sanders are made in the same Chinese factory
                    anyway)

                    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93431
                  • BllFs6@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                      In a message dated 12/3/2007 1:18:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                      otter55806@... writes:

                      Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
                      > that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-
                      heating...not
                      > that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
                      > Californian, you! :-D......... Cali

                      Another random thought on power tools....particularly electric ones...

                      If you are bogging it down....ie trying to drill, cut, sand or whatever SOOO
                      hard that you can hear the motor speed decreasing significantly....thats
                      just plain old BAD for the motor, brushes, and bearings....and probably isnt
                      helping the human body parts either....and is probably less efficient work
                      progress wise either...

                      Its bad for the bearings because it means you are putting too much force on
                      them....

                      Its bad for the motor because decreased speed means decreased air flow in
                      COMBINATION with the same IF NOT MORE electrical power being deposited IN THE
                      MOTOR....so less air flow AND MORE heat to get rid of....bad combo...

                      electrics are unlike internal combustion in that respect....a nearly stalled
                      IC engine aint producing much heat....a near stalled electric is drawing the
                      same, if not more power...and MORE of that energy is going into HEATING the
                      motor....

                      And yeah, frequent blowing out of the electric motors is probably a good
                      idea as well....

                      my .02 pesos

                      Blll

                    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                        You can get a new hook and loop face that glues on at Lowe's for not
                        much.

                        Jon

                        > 2) Also, my 'hook and loop' pad wore out long long ago, after a few
                        > days hard use, and ever since (500 disks or so) I have been using 3M
                        > 77 spray adhesive instead.
                      • Bryant Owen
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                          A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me
                          the same thing. LET THE TOOL DO THE WORK! RO sanders, hand saws,
                          drills, etc.

                          Bryant - who is on RO sander #3 and wants it to be the last.

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BllFs6@... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 12/3/2007 1:18:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                          > otter55806@... writes:
                          >
                          > Peter Lenihan, who just had a flash, perhaps it is our cold weather
                          > > that helps keep the machine cool instread of just over-
                          > heating...not
                          > > that you would know anything about "cold waether", you, you, lucky
                          > > Californian, you! :-D......... Cali
                          > >

                          > Another random thought on power tools....particularly electric ones...
                          >

                          > If you are bogging it down....ie trying to drill, cut, sand or
                          whatever SOOO
                          > hard that you can hear the motor speed decreasing
                          significantly....thats
                          > just plain old BAD for the motor, brushes, and bearings....and
                          probably isnt
                          > helping the human body parts either....and is probably less
                          efficient work
                          > progress wise either...
                          >
                          > Its bad for the bearings because it means you are putting too much
                          force on
                          > them....
                          >
                          > Its bad for the motor because decreased speed means decreased air
                          flow in
                          > COMBINATION with the same IF NOT MORE electrical power being
                          deposited IN THE
                          > MOTOR....so less air flow AND MORE heat to get rid of....bad combo...
                          >
                          > electrics are unlike internal combustion in that respect....a nearly
                          stalled
                          > IC engine aint producing much heat....a near stalled electric is
                          drawing the
                          > same, if not more power...and MORE of that energy is going into
                          HEATING the
                          > motor....
                          >
                          > And yeah, frequent blowing out of the electric motors is probably a
                          good
                          > idea as well....
                          >
                          > my .02 pesos
                          >
                          > Blll

                        • Kristine Bennett
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                            I've been reading the posts on the RO sanders. When it comes to tools you get what you pay for. I have use almost all the brands that have been listed. No matter what brand you use around fiberglass you are going to eat up bearings and brushes. Wood dust will do the same thing only slower.

                            When it comes to, bang for the buck I've had good luck with the RO sanders and the 4 1/2 inch grinders you can get from Harbor Freight Tools here in the U.S. The one thing I do is pop the gear case on the grinder open and full it with good grease. This goes a long way to get the life out of the gears.

                            Where I work we have five electric buffers that we use to buff the stainless steel tubing we build boat rails out of... They get used a lot. I have two or three of them pulled apart fixing them every month. The buffing compound just eats them up inside. The big thing is keeping them as clean as you can inside.

                            Blowing them out every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live! But I can't get the guys to do it!

                            Here in the U.S. 3M offers some sanding disks and pad that are called Sand Blasters I find the hold up very well grinding and sanding on straight fiberglass. They hold up well fairing out welds on steel as well.

                            Yes I have to agree with you Bryant "Let the tools do their job" The tools also last a whole lot longer as well!

                            Bryant Owen <mariner@...> wrote: A lesson I've learned the hard way - after years of people telling me

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                              > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
                              But I can't get the guys to do it!

                              OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
                              tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D

                              Sincerely,

                              Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
                              taste :-)...........
                            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 3, 2007
                                I can just about bet she has heard all those jokes already. Good to see
                                the Amazon is still around and giveing good .... advice.

                                Jon

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:
                                > > Blowing them every 10 to 15 mins does wonders to help them live!
                                > But I can't get the guys to do it!
                                >
                                > OOOOH......... this is tempting...........but I won't(biting
                                > tongue,wrist and fingers)go there !......:-D
                                >

                                > Sincerely,
                                >
                                > Peter Lenihan, trying desperately to be a model of restraint and good
                                > taste :-)...........

                              • Hajo Smulders
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  RO Air tools are Noisy; However what is more noisy than the actual tool in
                                  my case is my compressor constantly kicking in! These use a LOT of airflow.
                                  If you're going to go this way you better have a heavy duty piston driven
                                  compressor with a huge tank.
                                  I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Disks are a lot cheaper! I also like being able
                                  to use very fine grit, wet sanding sandpaper. (This is for paint work; not
                                  wood work...)
                                  There is absolutely a qualitative difference in tools between different
                                  brands. However I am NOT a professional woodworker. Just as I use a $3000
                                  Apple laptop for my work (I'm a programmer; work spend 50-60 hours a week on
                                  the thing) I would recommend most people to buy a $600 laptop. This is not
                                  financially justified; It's just nice when you spend a LOT of time with a
                                  tool to have the best one you can get.
                                  Most of my power tools are RYOBI. I like them; they're cheap; they're good
                                  enough for me... and let's face it; they get barely any work done on them;
                                  maybe a few hours a year per tool.(My most popular tools; my electrical saws
                                  get maybe 20 hours of actual work a year on each of them; and I doubt that
                                  it's that much!
                                  What I did spend money on:
                                  High quality sharpening stones. You won't find these at harbor freight!
                                  A GOOD quality chisel set
                                  A GOOD quality block plane
                                  (I bought chisel set and block plane used on ebay. Although I could have
                                  bought multiple new sets at harbor freight for what I paid these are a
                                  pleasure to work with. Also It didn't break the bank: Instead of $10 I would
                                  pay $30 which is very acceptable to me for a tool I'll hopefully be using
                                  for a lot of years to come.)
                                  A GOOD quality Japanese pull saw
                                  GOOD quality measuring tools
                                  The rest of my tools are all cheap. I'd prefer to spend my money on quality
                                  wood and epoxy. I especially consider epoxy to be very important since you
                                  can't visually inspect it when you buy it so you have to depend on brand
                                  name. I also have been bitten in the past in the @ss using cheap epoxy on a
                                  canoe. I have used West system 3 exclusively since that happened.

                                  Hajo

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    LOL Gee I have not a single idea why??!! I see the dyke left a few words out of her message... Funny I understood what I was trying to say.

                                    Blessings Krissie

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You butt! :)

                                      Blesssings Krissie

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 4, 2007

                                        > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                                        words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                                        butt! :)

                                        Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                                        my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                                        mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                                        brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........
                                      • Chester Young
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 5, 2007
                                          Thanks, yall just made my day :-)

                                          Caloosarat

                                          _____

                                          > Ahhh Peter I didn't make the mistake...You took out a couple of
                                          words... I didn't leave them out like you had me thinking!! You
                                          butt! :)

                                          Aye! Guilty as charged, your honour! But, when I first read your post,
                                          my minds eye sorta read it that way.Speaks a small volume of where my
                                          mind was at :-) Well, maybe not a small volume...let's call it a
                                          brochure...or a pamphlet...oh all right then,the back of a napkin:-)

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Peter,skipping along the long slope to nowhere fast...........

                                        • doug6949
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
                                            It is an axiom of brush motor design that brush life goes down
                                            substantially as current increases. And current increases with load.
                                            Push an already undersized motor hard and brush life literally goes
                                            from hours to minutes.

                                            Bottom line: Bog your electric tools down and they will die quickly.
                                            So let the tool do the work.

                                            FWIW, we go through lots of 4.5" angle grinders at work. The Metabo
                                            holds up best and always gets stolen before wearing out.

                                            Doug